1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Canadian Football weekend---Vanier Cup Saturday, Grey Cup on Sunday

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Nov 27, 2009.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

There may be only a handful of Canadians here who care about the Vanier Cup (Canadian university football championship) but this one should be a barn burner: Queen's Gaels vs Calgary Dinos in Quebec City (Hey, Laval, what happened?)

Game will feature Gaels' QB Danny Brannagan (second all time passer in CIS history) and Dinos QB Eric Glavic, two time Hec Crichton winner and the first in history to win it with two different teams (suck it up, St. Mary's).

And Sunday, it's the Grey Cup in Calgary with 40,000 Green Rider fans and oh, five, Als fans.

Bruce Dowbiggin has a column on why the Grey Cup still resonates with Canadians and points out some astonishing TV numbers.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/canadians-still-love-to-watch-the-grey-cup/article1379563/

As it turns out, it's because everybody hates Toronto.

Toronto is always invited to this party - welcomed in fact - but Canada's largest city is more like the guy in the corner looking for his keys. Virtually all the other teams have a defining presence at the game - Riderville, The Spirit of Edmonton and Winnipeg, Tigertown, Calgary's flapjacks and horses. Heck, there is even a presence from the Maritimes and Baltimore, and they haven't got teams. But Toronto is more like the designated driver of the Grey Cup.

And check out the TV numbers over the years:

A few facts on the resilience of the Grey Cup: The 1981 game attracted 6.2 million viewers - two million more than Super Bowl XV. The 1982 Grey Cup game attracted the largest television audience in the history of Canadian television with 7,862,000 viewers. Only the series finale for M*A*S*H topped the 1983 Grey Cup ratings.

Als are 9 1/2 point favourites and as much as I think Anthony Cavillo is a great QB with a distinguished career, I'm cheering on the Canadian corps of Roughrider receivers---dubbed the Slow, White Canadians.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I got pretty into the CFL the two years Baltimore had a team. Thought the CFL Colts were robbed by nationalist referees in the first Grey Cup, and loved the fact that Baltimore won the second one. Of course they folded up right away. Now, I always thought Baltimore was fairly successful in all facets in the CFL, and was too young to know about any of the rest of the league beyond Pinball Clemons, who was no Mike Pringle. Of course, when they folded the teams in the US I always assumed they were pissed off an American team won their title. Gotta love the innocence of youth!

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

FH, interesting factoid: Anthony Cavillo broke into the CFL in '94 with the Las Vegas Posse.

4. EE94

EE94 Guest

Dowbiggin typically gets his facts wrong.

Gold-medal game of 2002 drew more than 10 million

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Never stopped Bruce before.

I knew it was high, but that high? Wow. That's almost 1/3 of the entiire population.

Just think what the numbers will be if Canada makes it to the Gold Medal game in Vancouver. The country will shut down.

6. RagingCanuck

RagingCanuck Guest

It's poorly worded, but I expect he means "at the time". Especially since he references an 8 million number in the next paragraph.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

I still believe Game 8 of the Summit Series in 1972 is probably the most watched event in Canadian television history, sports or otherwise - if not in aggregate numbers, then certainly in percentage of viewers.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Will there be anyone left in Saskatchewan on Sunday?

The Yanks could invade, take over the province and no one would notice.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Baltimore didn't fold. The team moved to Montreal after the Ravens moved to town. I remember they had decent crowds, but had the silly lawsuit over the Colts name. The Colts, then the CFLs and then the Stallions.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

CFL expansion into the US was an absolute disaster for a bunch of reasons including incompetent and corrupt ownership.

Larry Smith, the CFL Commish at the time, was a clueless MBA grad who made the same fundamental mistake that hundreds of other Canadian businesses made in a NAFTA world: the assumption that the two countries were essentially the same market, sharing the same cultural values.

One of the most successful businesses in Canada, Canadian Tire, tried to duplicate their weird business model in the US and was a total disaster.

Too bad that Bettman still hasn't realised this

12. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

or care

Draft saved Draft deleted