1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Area themes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fnerry, May 18, 2007.

1. Fnerry

Fnerry New Member

I wanted to start a discussion on All-Area team themes you have done in the past. Just trying to get ideas for high school baseball soon.

2. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

why on earth does anyone need a freakin theme for all-area team?

3. Fnerry

Fnerry New Member

You don't NEED a theme for an All-Area team, but I've seen some done in the past that really turned out nice. Just wanted some suggestions. Not smart ass comments from idiots.

4. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Zagoshe would do one for softball players that look least like men.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"Here's the All-Area Team." ;)

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Seriously, Fnerry, tx--scribe is right.

7. Here's a suggestion: don't do a fucking theme for your all-area baseball team. You'll be the one who looks like an idiot.

8. chazp

chazp Active Member

[blue] How about who's a switch hitter and who's not.[/blue] Inspired by a situation in my area. I cover a school that had a lot of controversy last fall, because one of their volleyball players came out to her teammates and coach as a lesbian. She's also on the school's softball team. During a area tournament for the softball team, I was in the press box when she came to bat, a teacher at the school announced that she was dating (think of any boy's name). The PA announcer, did a double take and asked the teacher, "She's dating boys now?" You could put her in the switch hitter category.

9. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Use an 80s TV theme.

Smart players can be Alex P. Keatons (Family Ties)
    Grumpy managers can be Mr. Ropers (Three's Company)

Wait a sec, now that I think of it, wasn't Mr. Roper replaced by Ralph Furley on "Three's Company" in '79?

Ehh, do what you want.

10. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

We do photo pages instead of stories at our shop -- with the "visual artists" of our photo staff dreaming up different backgrounds and themes to take individual photos of the Super 11/Super 5/Super9/Greater Podunk Spring All-Stars. That saves us the 50-inch fellatio each season.

Football gets a double-truck (natch), and the rest get single color pages. Works out well for all.

rb

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Years ago we would do the baseball and softball teams as baseball cards. A posed picture (or file photo game shot) for the front of the card and the players stats and a paragraph or two on the back.
    It would take up two pages (one page for the front, the preceeding page for the back)... when we had a 16 page Sunday section, the fronts of the cards would be page 16, the backs page 15.

12. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

dude, you have some serious self-issues if you get that bent out of shape over my comment like i was taking a personal potshot. it wasn't smartass, it was a legitimate observation. people spend too much effort on themes that end up seeming quite lame when all you need is "all-area team."

Draft saved Draft deleted