1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Area teams

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CoreyDavis, May 19, 2010.

1. CoreyDavis

CoreyDavis New Member

I have done All-Area teams in football, volleyball, basketball, soccer, baseball and softball in the past. I'm attempting to do a track one now. Should I do it by event or the best 11 athletes on each team.

Any of you ever done an all-area track team and if so how did you do it. Looking for helpful suggestions.

2. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

If you must do one, I'd go per event.
    Why would you take the best 11 from each team?

3. CoreyDavis

CoreyDavis New Member

Not 11 on each team, I mean like Top 11 on the first team, 11 on second and then honorable mention.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Probably depends how the talent in your area breaks down.

If you have five 100 dashers who made the state finals, hard to leave any of them off.

Conversely, if you have some distance runners who were good in area, but sucked in state, hard to put them on the team.

5. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Track's not a big deal here, so I don't do an All-Area for it, but what I'd recommend is a fixed number of individuals, let's say 10 girls and 10 boys regardless of event, per team, then the top two relays, boys and girls, for each team.

6. CoreyDavis

CoreyDavis New Member

Thanks for all your suggestions.

7. NCScrub

NCScrub Member

I'm guessing you didn't have a (county, area, city) meet that would make it easy just to make the event winners from that meet all area?

8. CoreyDavis

CoreyDavis New Member

Its a handful of schools representing three seperate counties.

9. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

That's how my paper and others in the state do it. All-State is generally based on the results from the state Meet of Champions, and the various county teams on those meets -- which sometimes leads to interesting selections when the same kid wins multiple races. My paper maintains a performance list from all the major meets, which works as a pretty good tiebreaker.

10. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

We have nine high schools spread out over our state's four track divisions and what we do for our all-area team is simple.

We base it entirely on the state championship meet.

Everyone has an equal chance to qualify for it, everyone has an equal chance to make our team.

We pick the top relay team and, until recently, used to pick four track and four field athletes. Now, because our area's talent keeps fluctuating, we do the top eight athletes, an MVP and a relay team.

Usually, we end up with our MVP winning two-three events, about two-three other winners on the team and a handful of top-six regional qualifiers filling out the last spots.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

We don't do an all-area team for track because we typically have 30 to 40 people combined in our area qualify for state and give them plenty of coverage not only in Austin, but also with a full preview page.

Last week we had seven people win gold medals. We let the hardware speak.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Track is probably the easiest sport to select a team for ... if you are inclined to do an all-area team.

My least favorite is tennis with coaches pushing the unbeaten No.5 singles player, etc. Volleyball is a close second. Hard to really compare.

Draft saved Draft deleted