1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Area (or county, etc.) teams

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by KYSportsWriter, Mar 20, 2009.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

One of our All-Area teams (wrestling) came out today and there was some questionable voting done by the coaches (as there almost always is when it comes to this stuff).

Some state placers didn't get on either team (first, second and honorable mention), while others were at least honorable mention. A (former) parent who now serves as a volunteer coach at one of our schools e-mailed me today asking why some kids made the team and some didn't.

I told him that's how the coaches voted, and that's how it's always been for these teams.

My question is, is there a better way to handle All-Area stuff? How does your paper handle?

2. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

In our newspaper's All-Area teams, WE pick the teams with the exception of wrestling. The wrestling coaches in the area had always done an all-area team, so we go with theirs (in fact, the coach asked us to add a few names since some kids who made the state tournament weren't on the original all-area team that came out before individual duals).

But with the exception of wrestling, we pick our own all-area team. We ask for input, but at the end of the day, we make the call on who makes the teams.

3. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

always picked the teams ourselves. it's the "Podunk Press" All-Area team. not the "Podunk Area Coaches" All-Area Team.

4. jps

jps Active Member

coaches nominate their kids, send in stats or whatever. then the staff gets together and builds the team.

5. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

League all-star teams are voted on by the coaches here, but the paper that does the All-Area teams (football/soccer/hoops/wrestling) makes their own choices. They do use a committee of volunteers for football, because they cover so many teams in a six-county/two-state area, but I believe the SE runs that meeting. For everything else, they'll accept input, but the guy who leads their coverage of that sport has the final say.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Assuming you cover enough games to get a legitimate look at the players in your area, YOU pick the teams, with "input" from the coaches.

Leaving it up to coaches' votes, or for that matter, even nominations, opens the door to all sorts of politicking, sandbagging, score-settling and back-scratching, and throws all credibility out the window.

7. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Depends. If they have large- and small-school divisions (or two different states, as in our area), some of the top kids in each weight class may never face each other.

8. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Nah, nobody would ever do that.

Regards,
    America East basketball coaches

9. ltrain1127

ltrain1127 Member

Our all-area wrestling team comes out tomorrow. We have a 16-person team for our 7 high schools.
    The 11 state qualifiers from our area were automatic. Then we had coaches and our staff vote on five wild cards and the wrestler of the year. No glaring omissions this season.

We have in the past had players of the year in some sports that I didn't agree with, but they were defendable.

10. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Coaches are picking your all-area team. I think your problem is now solved. You pick em.

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

We run the coach selected teams and the teams we pick. Rarely a complaint.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

What he (or she) said.

Draft saved Draft deleted