1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Area headache No. 9,283: wimping out on picks

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Starman, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Although most fall All-Area teams are safely in the can, it's always a good time to open up the bitchfest again.

One thing that bugs the hell out of me is when writers (I've worked with a few) either inflate the All-Area team to gargantuan size, making everyone who can run down the field or court more than twice without falling down an all-star, announce "Co-POYs" or "Co-COYs," or add all sorts of booby-prize side selections such as "defensive player to watch next year," "unsung special-team standout," blah blah yack yack.

The argument usually comes down to, "I want to keep as many coaches/parents/players happy as possible," "They both had good seasons," or most ridiculous, "I don't think it's right that WE decide who had a better season than somebody else."

In that case, why do it at all?? ::) ::)

When I pick my A-A teams, they are real teams: Twenty-two (22) football players, 23 if there is a REAL good kicker in the area. Five (5) basketball players. Ten (10) baseball/softball players, plus 2-4 pitchers at most. One DH only, and they damn well ALSO better be a good field position player, too.

No teams with four quarterbacks and five running backs on the "first team." And One (1) POY and One (1) COY.

2. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

Agreed. This is one of my worst pet-peeves.

Co-Players of the Year are NEVER, EVER applicable. I will never be convinced it is, so don't even try. Don't be a beyotch -- pick one. Life will indeed go on. Trust me.

All area arguments that last more than five minutes are a waste of everyone's time.

And writers/editors that want to include a few extra players just to make everyone happy, well....they make me want to puke. Along with those that want to pick at least one person from every team to make the coaches happy. Stop it!

Rant over. Carry on.

3. Pi

Pi Member

The bigger headache is getting accurate stats on the kids. The football coaches I've dealt with were nasty about sticking the stats in a folder and trying to forget them as soon as the season ended.

4. When you include that many players, you cheapen the honor. When my papers picked all-area, we went with five (or nine or 11, depending upon the story). And no copout with an MVP, then an offensive MVP, and a defensive MVP, and 22 more players.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I don't have a huge problem with a fairly deep honorable-mention list. Outside of that, what you all are saying rings true with me.

6. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

I don't have anything against an offensive and defensive POY, but never a co-POY for either. I'm also not against one overall POY choice, either.

7. Agreed!
    I work at a publication that is notorious for this. I love to death both the guys who do these teams, but I loathe eight-player all-area volleyball teams, or eight-player all-area basketball teams, co-POY, etc., etc. Hate it.

8. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

After being a stubborn asshole, I got my player of the year pick.

I keep it simple: 11 on offense, 11 on defense, 2-3 special teams, five all-purpose honorable mention. In an area with close to 30 teams, a list with 29-30 kids isn't bad. There are plenty of teams that don't get represented because their kids suck.

9. sartrean

sartrean Member

The all-whatevers just plain suck. It's way too much work to do when 19,000 other sports are going on, and it'd darn near impossible to do it well when you're a one-man sports shop.

I've always avoided all-whatever teams after my first gig sports writing at weekly. This weekly always did the all-whatever teams. I picked 'em that year and got death threats. My editor said that was normal, and he liked them because he printed all the letters from pissed off parents.

Well, I didn't like walking into that gym for a basketball game after my all-football team came out. It seemed like everyone in the gym stop talking and looked at me when I walked in the door.

Also, who are the fuckers that work at a paper? What qualifies newspaper hacks to determine who the best players are in a given area?

Other than selling papers or generating interest in the paper, I see no benefit of these stupid picks four, five and eight times a year.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hey,

You guys are so right. For that, I am gonna vote you all co-posters of the year.

Congrats.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

do you include your player of the year on the all-area team as well?
    So if the best QB was your POY, was he also the QB on the team, or did you have another QB
    when I did all-area teams I didn't, but I also made them position-specific, so the best center was the center, not the five best offensive linemen.

12. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

I'm not a big fan of co-players of the year, however we'll often do it for tennis when it's a doubles team. Tough to pick one over the other.

For football, we do it like a real time, 11 offensive player and 11 defensive players. There's a kicker, a punter and a coach. However, this year I had a kid who had a monster impact with no real primary position, so we gave him a "utility" tag. That's probably a cop out, but I felt he deserved to be recognized in some way.

Draft saved Draft deleted