1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Area Football Team question ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dailygrind, Dec 19, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I think it sounds like a great idea. Go for it.

2. jps

jps Active Member

if a parent tried to compare a season-ending injury to death ... I would laugh, ask if they were serious and hang up. and my publisher and managing editor would do the same.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I really like the Sixth Man idea and hope I never have an occasion to use it.

4. Brookerton

Brookerton Member

I'd add him.
    I was in a similar situation at the last paper I worked for. There was a girl that was a three-sport athlete that died before the basketball season. She would have made the all-county team, so we put her on there as a tribute.
    As far as setting a precedent, how many athletes die in your area every year? It's not like you would be doing one for each sport, each season.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I like notepad's idea on both counts. You aren't opening a can of worms, and yet you're giving the young man the tribute he deserves. That could make for a really compelling 8-inch sidebar, too.

6. Notepad

Notepad Member

As a journalist, you are breaking a huge rule here.
    How do you "know" she would have made it? Have athletes, where you live, never been injured? Had an unexpected terrible season? Etc.?

7. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy New Member

I don't know if I would be in either category -- 6th lineman or sidebar. I assume you wrote something on this kid when he died.

If he would have played some of the season, then fine. But you did say he was killed before the season?

I'm a believer that postseason achievements should be a reflection of what they accomplished that season and not past achievements.

But that's just my opinion. Maybe it's harsh.

8. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

I would be careful. You don't want to overshadow what the living people did. Also, don't know how the parents are doing, but I am sure they don't need another reminder about their sons death.

You have a good heart, but life does go on. You can't honor every teenager who dies in this way,why does this one stick out besides the fact you know him and feel awful?

This story is such a downer for that section.

9. dailygrind

dailygrind Member

For the record, in my situation, I never said the kid "would" have made it. I said "likely would have made it."
    And, I'm thinking this is going to end up being a sidebar, honoring the kid. As far as his parents are concerned, I would think that they would be honored by him receiving some type of recognition ... simply because the opportunities were robbed from him. Also, his family sent me a couple e-mails following the funeral complimenting the work we did in covering the event.
    I mean, we are all in the camp that this is unfortunate. It's horrible. Luckily, it doesn't happen often. Again, I think I'm writing the sixth lineman sidebar ... being cautious not to take anything away from the kids on the first team.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I think that's a good compromise. The legitimacy of the all-area selections is upheld, and the family and friends of the kid who died get a nice tribute.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I have this argument every season. A player's history or future means nothing to me.

12. renaldo

renaldo New Member

I don't see a reason to put him on the team AND write a sidebar. I think the sidebar is plenty for a tribute without messing with the integrity of the team.

Whether he would have made the team, or likely would have made the team, or might have made the team...it's all speculation. He might have blown out his knee in the opener. The post-season awards belong to the ones who played and earned them.

Draft saved Draft deleted