1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Area attribution question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Central-KY-Kid, Nov 30, 2006.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I told our ME today and he's going to look into it. The thing that pissed me off the most was they used everything verbatim from what I wrote. I don't care if they used the same quotes from the coach, but they used everything I wrote with no attribution.

I live in the county where this paper comes out and yeah, I used to work for them on the side, but them doing this just pisses me off beyond belief. I'm going to let my ME and SE handle it and whatever happens happens.

2. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

that is the way to go about it and hopefully they will respect your writing from now on. Were your superiors mad when you told them what happened. I sure as hell would be.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

last stop i was at, we had a few weeklies that picked and chose what they wanted from our paper. i, much like KY, became a little testy because of no attribution. i pissed and moaned and basically was told to "get over it. we have X amount of resources and they don't have shit. who cares what they do with your section's copy after it's written anyway. besides, it's what's best for the company, and the last time i checked, the company paid your salary." and that came from our publisher after the editor didn't give me a satisfactory answer.

didn't make me any happier, but i did learn the tough lesson of who owns the words we produce.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

This is why I don't bother putting other paper's all-star selections in my paper. My paper is not in business to promote other papers (which is probably why your paper wasn't named as the source of the all-area honor), so unless it's the coaches association all-star team (which has nothing to do with any paper), it won't get in my paper.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

NEVER use any other paper's all-star team in your paper.

AP All-State, or coach's association, OK -- as long as the coach's association team is independent, and not sponsored by another paper.

If your paper is supposed to care enough about prep sports to run an all-area team, then do your own. They can be, and often are, a huge load of work, but if need be, you can also hammer them down so they're not really all that much work. If you're covering prep sports in your paper on a regular basis, by midseason in each sport, you should have a pretty decent idea of who the better players are.

Draft saved Draft deleted