1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alison Krauss has won 26 Grammys

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SnoopyBoy, Feb 10, 2009.

1. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

I'm getting old. I'm 38 and don't watch the Grammys anymore because I've never heard of most of the acts, like the rap acts and many of the rock acts. I don't listen to Coldplay (couldn't tell you what song they sing) and all the rap acts sounds the same -- terrible. Now, back in the '80s, the Grammys had my attention. Phil Collins, Michael Jackson, U2.

I watched a little bit of them by accident the other night and heard U2 and McCartney were on there, but couldn't tell you what songs they performed. I did hear Adele or something like that, she was fantastic. I switched it off when some pregnant rapper was singing. I'd had enough.

Anyway, back to my topic. While reading about the Grammys I discovered Alison Krauss has won 26 Grammys, more than any other female ever. 26! That is unbelievable. I'm somewhat familiar with her work being a country music fan, but I had no idea she was so accomplished.

2. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Tremendous talent. The CMT show with Plant was outstanding. I've posted clips from it here before.

This is a cover from a Union Station concert. Love it.

IJAG should be along shortly..

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

She has a great voice, can play the fiddle and isn't boxed into a certain kind of music. She started young and surrounds herself with great talent. Also doesn't appear to have a big ego at all.

See her if you can.

4. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

A friend of mine posted on her Facebook status, during the Grammys:

"I don't get Robert Plant and Allison Krause!"

Sheesh.....

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, he has better hair and a name that's easier to spell.

6. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

The CMT show is great.

http://www.cmt.com/shows/dyn/cmt_crossroads/127935/episode.jhtml

When the Levee Breaks from the show

http://www.cmt.com/videos/misc/207269/cmt-crossroads-robert-plant-and-alison-krauss-when-the-levee-breaks.jhtml?id=1580892

Black Dog from the show

http://www.cmt.com/videos/misc/207273/cmt-crossroads-robert-plant-and-alison-krauss-black-dog.jhtml?id=1580892

Pass these along to your friend 8)

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

She's a great talent.

I wonder though, if she's won a lot of these Grammys because there wasn't a lot of competition in the bluegrass genre a few years ago.

Of course, she deserves every one of those and more.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

I hope one of those Grammys was for "Whiskey Lullaby." What an incredible song.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Pretty much the only artist I can think of where Mrs. Bubbler and I could go to a concert and both be entertained.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Ditto. I'm usually not much for concerts but me and the wife saw Krauss and Union Station last summer and really enjoyed it.

11. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I love Allison Krauss, but you hit the nail on the head.

She's won six Grammys for best Bluegrass/Southern Gospel album and three more for best Contemporary Folk album. She's also won 10 Grammys for collaborative work.

Because most of her wins have come in a category with very little competition, her total number of Grammys is somewhat flukish compared to someone like Aretha (21 Grammys). But the fact that Krauss has won a couple Country Album of the Year Grammys, as well as a Best Female Vocal Performance proves that she's not the typical "one-trick pony".

12. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Just remember though. Plant blew off a Zeppelin reunion tour for this.

I admire his artistic integrity for doing so, but damn...what could have been.

Draft saved Draft deleted