1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aliens v. Predator: The most offensive ad campaign ever?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Dec 21, 2007.

1. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

1. Corn Nuts and Root Beer....used to love both together when I was a kid.
    2. Yes, I find the ad offensive. But I find news that Nickelodeon is pondering a special on B. Spears' little sister's pregnancy even more offensive.
    3. AVP was fun ....Not one for the DVD collection. But definitely enjoyable with a few beers in you.

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I was raised Catholic, and I come from a long line of Catholics on my mother's side. Though I wasn't offended, I could totally see why others would. My grandmother would probably say a rosary if she saw that, and then smoke several menthols to calm her nerves.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Paging Bill O'Reilly and Bill Donahue, we've got a War on Christmas on Aisle 3!
    And yet the MPAA has a problem with a documentary movie poster featuring a detainee in a hood? Priceless.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

jesus-fucking-christ.

that is all.

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

BYH VS. IJAG IV: The Reckoning

6. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I was raised Catholic, but don't consider myself one anymore. I don't find it all that offensive, but I don't think I would have used the reference to promote a horror/action movie. I'm willing to bet a lot of people have no clue that Catholic service is called Mass and even less know there's a midnight service on Christmas eve.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Don't have any comments on any of your post except the end. I think there are few Americans who've lived in this country more than a few years who DON'T know about midnight services before Christmas. For many, that's the only time they ever go to church.

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Nobody on the face of the earth should be offended by this. A simple history of Christmas should denote enough energy to putting that out.

Seriously, it wasn't like Christmas was really all about Jesus anyway. It all started with Pagans cutting open animals and dancing in blood. So, the Christians wanted to convert them over and decided to create some mythological holiday and decided to use the exact date that the Pagans were already using as a means to say, "Look! We have fun too, just less blood involved!"

All in all, no harm, no foul. Lots of fun is to be had by all!

Oh and who the fuck goes to a movie theater on Christmas eve?

I'm going to a party that night and getting loaded with a bunch of illegals!

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Aliens vs. Pastor ... see the carnage on Christmas Eve!

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

22 percent of U.S. population is Catholic
    36 percent of them say they go to Mass weekly

11. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I was not making an absolute definitive statement, just unscientific observation.

I grew up in a part of the country where you grew up believing there were only two religions: parochial and public. In that part of country, as with the major cities of region, from New York to Chicago, Catholicism and its practices are fairly common.

But in my life since leaving that area, I've discovered ignorance to those customs is probably more common. The county I live in now has two very small Catholic churches, and this part of the state has very few.

My point was simply there are a lot of people in this country who have no clue or real interest in what goes on in the Catholic church -- just as many Catholics would have no clue or interest in customs of the Buddism, Mormonism, Judism or any other faith -- and wouldn't be offended by the AVP promotional campaign.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I think this whole argument is moot anyway. AVP sucks!

Draft saved Draft deleted