1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alford curses at BYU player

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Feb 28, 2010.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

With TWO double-digit losses to Iowa. TWO. Iowa has lost, at home, to Texas-San Antonio (by 12), Duquense. On the road, they've lost to Northern Iowa, Wichita State and every Big Ten team except for...Indiana.

2. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Enjoy telling others how to practice their religion? Maybe he is phony. Maybe he's not. I thought a key tenet of Christianity was admitting that you are flawed...

3. A poster said that it was Alford egging on Tavernari saying 'what are you going to do".

That wasn't Alford. That was one of his assistants.

I have zero problems with what Alford said to Tavernari. He is an asshole. His own teammates hate him and can't wait for his eligibility to expire. It's not a coincidence that BYU's season took off when Dave Rose rightfully took the chucker out of the lineup. The final straw was BYU's first loss to Utah State when on offense Tavernari went 1-11 from the field and shot the Cougars out of the game in the second half. On defense, Stew Morrill correctly concluded that Tavernari would rather eat raw onions than play any D and basically stopped running his offense and gave the ball to whomever Tavernari was "guarding". Rose, after that game, had seen enough.

Tavernari never stops yapping at anyone. You'd think he's an all-american the way he talks. He takes cheap shots at players and then tried to act holier than thou when the players tire of his antics. I for one wished that Dobson would've connected with that elbow. Alford, in the lay-up line, tried to compliment Tavernari, who made a big show in dissing Alford, which is what set Alford off, and rightfully so. He's trying to make peace and he's being shown up by a two bit hack.
    Alford was completely within his rights in what he said and its very very telling that he's refused to apologize to Tavernari or BYU in any way shape or form.

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Sounds like one asshole going after another -- an ideal situation if you ask me.

5. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

flanewb gets it right.

As someone who attended a MWC school and saw the extreme arrogance of anyone involved with BYU up close, I say this with the least amount of respect possible for all BYU programs: fuck you, you are assholes and that holier than thou act wears really fucking thin.

6. J Staley

J Staley Member

Tavernari might be a jerk, and a lot of people are going to think this was justified. Maybe so. But Alford has established a pattern. He will explode with outburts of unsportsmanlike behavior because he's pissed about, um, unsportsmanlike behavior. Hypocritical. Plus, as people have mentioned, where's the perspective? UNM just won a huge game.

I guess I don't get why so many people try to justify this. As you can imagine lots of UNM fans think Alford can do no wrong, and that Tavernari deserved this. Of course these are the same people that would be calling for another coach's head if they called a Lobo an asshole.

If Tavernari wasn't considered an asshole and just had one bad moment, then I wonder what the opinion would be. To me this is black and white, a coach can't call an opposing player an asshole in this situation. Case closed. And he should have more composure than to explode after a win like that. Grow up.

7. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Why can't one adult call another an asshole? This isn't high school

8. J Staley

J Staley Member

At the risk of sounding old and preachy ...

Are sportsmanship and perspective antiquated notions? Are they too much to expect of a big time college hoops coach with a million dollar contract?

9. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I can't find a video, but in 2008, John Pelphrey Clearly told a Tennessee player to STFU during the SEC tournament.

10. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I'm all about sportsmanship and perspective, but few really have it. I'm just not sure calling someone else an asshole in a competitive environment is a big deal. I would hope that I wouldn't react that way, but I see it as a non-issue.

Draft saved Draft deleted