1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alford curses at BYU player

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Feb 28, 2010.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

He learned from Izzo.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

But you know not to coach or direct another coach's player.

Where was the BYU coach (or any coach) in all of this?

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I agree - I coached a playoff game Saturday that we should have won, but we lost by three points because our big man can't make a fucking lay-up and we are 3-for-12 from the free throw line, which is a disgrace and because in the first half about half of my guys went through the motions and didn't care enough to play as hard as they need to so we fell behind and had to come back, which we did and took a one point lead - only to go two missed free throws, missed front end of one-and-one, traveling (turnover), missed lay-up (which broke my heart, we ran this wonderful baseline play where our guard came from the wing, beat his guy baseline, we set a foul line screen for our center who came down the lane, the other forward rotated out to stop the penetration, we got a beautiful bounce pass to our center cutting, he caught it in stride and then missed the lay-up.....), missed lay-up, missed block out for offensive board for other team which then resulted in a putback and of course we foul in the final 1:30.

I swear to God if one of the other kids from the other team or the coach said something to me at the end of that game as the final few seconds were ticking off, I'd have lost my mind on him.

But once the game is over, by the time I walked to the end of our handshake line, I was at least composed enough to say "good game, good luck" to all the players and coach. I am still frustrated though, losses like that are tough. I think I'd rather lose by 40.

Thanks for allowing me to share, I had to get this one off my chest and Mrs. Zagoshe isn't a big spors fan and is one of those people who doesn't understand why us men (and women who coach as well) get so upset about the result of a game......

Fuck, the worst part of coaching is this -- you can do everything to put them in position, lead them to the water, but you just can't put the damn ball in the basket for them.

4. Yeah, but can Stevie still hang the net?

5. 93Devil

Yep.

Coaches prepare players to play. The kids have to make the plays thenselves.

Don't eat yourself up. It sounds like you had them ready to play, but if guys were dogging it, you probably should have subbed for them. Nothing motivates more than sitting.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

That is what is depressing me - I used 11 guys in the first half to try and find five who wanted to play and play hard and I'm not sure I ever did. It was only in the second half, when we were down and it was apparent that their season was coming to an end that they decided to get moving.

7. 93Devil

Just look at Georgetown getting curbstomped at home by Notre Dame this weekend.

Sometimes the team just does not show up.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Maybe he's auditioning for IU. Crean, not a good fit, has a couple of years left before he gets canned.

9. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Steve Alford: Wrong in how and when he said them, accurate in his words

10. 93Devil

Just like Knight.

11. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Crean has a contract to 2018. That's quite a buyout. And I'd love to read the dissertation about how he's not "a fit."

12. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Coming late to this, but...
    Yeah, the kid was an a-hole, but Stevie loses all sympathy when he's practically begging the kid to throw a punch with that "What are you going to do about it? What are you going to do about it?" shit. At that point, the kid was already doing his "yeah, whatever dude" schtick and walking away.

Half of me wishes he would've popped Alford and left him bleeding on the court. That would've been a fun post-gamer.

Draft saved Draft deleted