1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alex Trebek/Jeopardy Tribute Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mwilliams685, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I wish Alex well.

And Johnny Punchline gets the button.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

His smarmy, know-it-all personality has always been a perfect fit for that show and it's at time rankled me. But when I think about how many hours I've spent listening to him proctor my favorite show, JFC, this makes me really sad. He's always been a gentleman and a class act.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

In that announcement there was one little chuckle at his "I have to host for three more years/contract" quip, but outside that, damn, you could probably hear a pin drop in the studio.

Over the years I have gotten away from the show as a nightly fix, but it's not Thanksgiving with the family until we turn it on, I keep score, and my sister and I argue over who yelled the answer first.

Here's hoping he fulfills that contract.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I'm always amused with the contestant interviews. It's often like they share the most boring thing they've ever done and Alex is so interested.

Alex: I hear you once ate an entire cake.

Contestant: Yes Alex. It was my birthday and I ate three pieces and there was just one left so I ate that too.

Alex: I bet it tasted good. Now back to the game.

Slacker and BitterYoungMatador2 like this.
  6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    /counterpoint

Vombatus likes this.
  7. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

He praised my daughter for a noble effort and answered my son's question during a commercial break. My fervent hope is to join the celebration of him beating this damn thing.

garrow, CD Boogie, HanSenSE and 3 others like this.
  8. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I love how in sync his cancer message was with everything else he's ever recorded for Jeopardy. He might as well have been announcing a new tournament or a rule change. The guy is a pro and as perfect for his show as anyone ever has been for a show.

I heard a long podcast with him a few years ago — maybe Nerdist? — and, well, he wasn't overwhelmingly interesting. He was very professional, didn't seem to have a lot of personal anecdotes to share or anything unique or interesting to say. Not to knock him. He found his perfect job.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The star of "Jeopardy" is "Jeopardy."

Always has been.

Alex is terrific at what he does, knows his limits and is just enough of a stuffed shirt to give the show the gravity it needs.

10. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

If he beats this, I hope he becomes the next Hef. Just going around banging 20-year-old models, doing coke off their asses and smack talking everyone.

But, he's Canadian, so doubt it. But it would be an awesome epilogue.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It is odd that the sheen of the show makes Trebek seem like "the most interesting man" in the world - like he's travelled everywhere mentioned, read all the books, met all the celebrities, seen the various paintings and antiquities, drank in a bar with the athletes. It really helps the show that he comes from a point of view that people should know these "questions" and not say "wow- that was a hard one." Pat Sajak comes across as a guy who started working on a cruise ship as an assistant social director 30 years ago and never got a promotion.

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

893713C5-A5CC-4E4D-A8FE-8FF33FE1B787.jpeg

HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted