1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alex Trebek/Jeopardy Tribute Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mwilliams685, Mar 6, 2019.

1. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

This pleases me.

Whenever I see Leary, I think of him lifting a good portion of his early material from Bill Hicks. Then I think of what Hicks had to say about it.

"I have a scoop for you. I stole his act. I camouflaged it with punchlines, and to really throw people off, I did it before he did."

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I always found it amusing how they would play it straight with his occupation:

“Our first contestant is a nuclear physicist from Springfield, Mr. John Smith.

Our second contestant is a brain surgeon, from Shelbyville, Ms. Jane Doe.

And our champion, a professional sports gambler from Las Vegas, Nevada ...”

3. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I thought he was throwing in the towel, but my girlfriend is a three-time Jeopardy winner (who hates the guy), and she thought that was the smart move. I would've bet enough to pass the leader's total going into Final Jeopardy in case she didn't know and decided to zero it. (My bar trivia team has won several times by zeroing a ridiculous multipart final question when we've had a lead, figuring no one would get it. We've gotten burned once.)

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Emma looks pretty good, but she's not going to get leads as big as James (who answered 1,100-plus clues correctly and missed all of 36!) did in each of his victories. I could see her winning 5-10 games or more, but I can also see her getting beaten tomorrow.

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

She bet nothing in final jeopardy. We deserve better champions

6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

7. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    unworthy

8. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Unless I'm misunderstanding, your trivia team knows the question before making a final wager. Jeopardy contests don't. They only know the topic, which is usually generic, so your strategy wouldn't apply.

Second, if James had wagered everything, Emma still could have passed him and won. She bet $1 more than double his score. So even if he had wagered it all, her wager would have given her the win if they both got it right.

His only play, as he's detailed, was to block out the third contestant with a modest wager and hope that Emma had a correct response.

9. SoloFlyer

It may be boring, but it was the right play if she felt uncomfortable with the topic.

Wagering zero locks in her pay day of $24,600, a sizeable sum for those who didn't play like Holzhauer. More importantly, it protected her from second place, as the max total second could have earned was $22k.

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I know, man. I was being facetious.

11. SoloFlyer

My bad. I've been pushing back against the "he threw the game, she didn't deserve to win" conspiracy so much that I missed that.

12. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Why does she hate the guy?

Draft saved Draft deleted