1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alex Rodriguez needs a New Yorker profile.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by thebiglead, Apr 19, 2007.

1. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

Anyone see this 3-run walk-off bomb he just hit of Borowski?

I know the magazine hit Manny, and they are very selective about which athletes they select, but even if A-Rod didn't talk, reporting around him would be fascinating.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

A-Rod would probably talk to The New Yorker. Nice way to build up his image.

Yankees beat writers? Not so much.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

When a group perpetrates a myth and tries to make it reality... well, I would never talk to those fucks again.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Blah blah blah

5. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

Good point.

He spoke with SI last year if memory serves. Prick, jerkoff, whatever ... I'm fascinated by the guy. Will he and Jeter go out for a drink after the game? Do they talk?

Is this A-Rod tear a big fuck you to the Yankees? Or is he doing it to prove to other teams that he's going to win a World Series (finally) and then shove a fist up the collective ass of the organization and walk?

6. Simon_Cowbell

Believe me... he is the nice guy on the left side.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think it's more that he's finally gotten over trying to make everyone in NYC like him. He seems a lot more relaxed this season, which is causing him to be more relaxed at the plate. And we all know a relaxed hitter works a lot better than a tense hitter.

It probably helps that he also knows he can walk away at the end of this season if he wants, but I don't think his motivation is just to hit 80, drive in 200 and say 'see ya' at the end. I think he finally understands who he is, when in the past he was maybe a little lost mentally.

I'm pleased to see it. I hope if he has them he loses any grudges he has against writers, but something like that can be hard to shake. We're not all as easy going as Simon and BYH.

8. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

Agree completely, except I couldn't see any of this coming the day he said 'Jeter and I aren't friends anymore' or whatever in the preseason. Perhaps it was the backrub on Letterman that loosened him up.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Touche, GB.

Nice.

10. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

I think we need four more threads about this home run.

11. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I don't think it was Letterman. A-Rod finally realized that he's isn't going to be liked by hard-core Yankees fans no matter what he does, and he needed to stop trying to be nice and go out and play his game. Did coming out and saying that Jeet and him were not 'boys at factor? Part of it is.

I'm amazed on what he's doing right now. If I was him, I'll take the Reggie Jackson route and indirectly say "fuck you" to the fans who boo him and the world-famous New Yawk press.

12. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

I'd love nothing more than for this to be a big "fuck you" to the Yankees, win an MVP, World Series then fucking walk for half the money after the season.

Maybe then, the Yankees and their asshole fans will get the picture.

But I doubt the latter happens. The former? I think it's a possibility.

Draft saved Draft deleted