1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alex Rodriguez: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 23, 2013.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Palmeiro had a huge power spike during his career. He hit only eight home runs in over 600 at-bats twice early in his career. I don't remember if there was a physical change to go with it, but the people who think they can tell who is using and who is not just by looking at the players are fooling themselves.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Didn't his power spike start about the time Canseco was traded to the Rangers?

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Bar none the biggest asshole I ever witnessed in an MLB clubhouse. And that was decided, by me, before even knowing yet that he had a reputation as a big asshole. Guy just sat around MFing teammates and bitching and moaning and generally carrying on. You know the type.

4. Mizzougrad96

I covered a few Giants games the year Bonds broke the (single-season) HR record and during three games, I don't think Jeff Kent talked to a single teammate the whole time. I remember that striking me as odd...

There seem to be exponentially more assholes in baseball than in other sports, at least based on my experiences... I never saw a major issue in a NBA or NFL locker room. My hockey experience is limited to writing siders from some playoff series, and a handful of games here and there, but those guys could not have been nicer.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The fact that baseball is the most individual of the Big Four sports probably has something to do with that.

6. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Daily News says Bud is trying to suspend him for the rest of this year, and all of next year, and if he doesn't agree to it, Bud will try to give him a lifetime ban. It would be sooooo fucking Yankees to get out of paying the rest of that contract. Gah.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/i-team/deal-a-rod-faces-historic-ban-article-1.1411133

7. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

There was a large group of players in the Tigers clubhouse at the turn of the century where Fick fit right in. They didn't hate him, although they may hate him this week. That group was not popular with the rest of the team, nor with the front office.

New MLBPA deputy director Tony Clark was a member of that team, but certainly not part of that group.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

as for the issue re: this topic: if a-roid is suspended 4ever, no. in all other scenarios it comes down to finding out how long he's been on the juice, which may be impossible to ever learn. he's thrown into the bonds-clemens group, a denate which may prove endless.

9. Mizzougrad96

As much as I would love to see him banned for life, I would think A-Rod's legal team would have a field day with that.

I know he's admitted using before, but has he ever been suspended for it? How do you claim this is the third offense when he's never had the 50-game suspension or the 100-game suspension?

That said, if he takes the agreement, he still has $60 million guaranteed from the Yankees when he gets back.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If they have proof that he tried to buy up all the documents, that's a pretty big deal. That goes beyond PED usage.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Also, if I understand it correctly, MLB is making a distinction between suspensions based on positive drug tests and suspensions based on other evidence, so they may be about to go outside of the 50-game or 100-game limits.

12. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

One more time, I'd just like to mention what a fucking gift this will be to the Yankees when they are suddenly given a $114 million mulligan for their own disastrous decision. Selig should Jedi mind trick them into donating the whole thing to anti-drug education.

Draft saved Draft deleted