1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alert: The Notebook on Oxygen

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Sep 16, 2009.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

JUST BECAUSE THE TWISTS ARE OBVIOUS DOESN'T STILL MAKE THEM EMOTIONAL!

I hate everyone without ovaries, I think.

BQ.

2. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

IJAG = The L Word.

RB

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Actually, a "funny comment" would fit the definition of a joke. Here is something that might help.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/joke

1 a : something said or done to provoke laughter; especially : a brief oral narrative with a climactic humorous twist
    You seem to be limiting your definition of a "joke" to only one form that fits the actual definition. You did realize I wasn't seriously thanking you for the warning, but rather I was taking the opportunity to take a dig at the movie, right? (Please see the posts by OTR and BYH for the reasons why).

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Wait, OOP hates The Notebook? Well that changes everything! IJAG, I'll be to your house in two hours with a box of Kleenex in case we talk about Alyssa.

5. imjustagirl

Oh shut it. You guys have been prematurely spurting all over each other on this board for months. You've OBVIOUSLY chosen him over me.

And oop: Your definition still didn't work. Your post wouldn't provoke laughter, nor did it have a climactic humorous twist.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Try re-reading the definition I posted. It doesn't have to have a climactic twist to fit the real definition of a joke. It simply has to be something said or done to provoke laughter.

Now if you want to say my post wasn't funny, that's fair enough. But your understanding of what constitutes a "joke" was off and it is still off. If you don't like it, take it up with Merriam-Webster.

7. imjustagirl

And I said it wasn't laughter-provoking. So...return.

8. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

We have a Cracker Barrel and the shitty mid-level D1 college ball you scrape your knuckles collecting from the bottom of the MVC.

What else do I need in life?

9. imjustagirl

Mmmmmmmmmm Cracker Barrel. I do miss me some good Southern/Midwestern gluttony.

See also: Golden Corral. :D

10. Rockbottom

I see IJAG didn't deny my word problem theorem.

RB

11. imjustagirl

I didn't figure it needed to be denied, what with all the talk of the illicit things I would do to Ryan Howard and/or any of 4,000 other men. :D

12. Rockbottom

Roger, Roger. If only I could crack that 4K barrier ...

RB

Draft saved Draft deleted