1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ALERT: PBS airing a kick-ass "Cyrano"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Just an FYI: Great Performances is airing a kick-ass performance of "Cyrano be Bergerac" right now (and repeated over the next few days) for fans. Kevin Kline wonderfully witty as Cyrano, Jennifer Garner as (slightly overplayed) Roxanne. Damn, this is well done. Catch it if you can.

EDIT: Couldn't place Christian for a while, then it finally hit me. It's Daniel Sunjata, "Franco" from Rescue Me. Also, Chris Sarandan (from the Princess Bride) as De Guiche. This is good shit, man.

2. Kevin Kline is a brilliant comic actor.
    And a very underrated one.
    "Apes don't read philosophy."
    I'm glad PBS will run this 48 times this month.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Every other version of Cyrano can bow down and kiss Jose Ferrer's (1950) giant, hairy balls. It's by far the greatest adaptation of the book ever made, and Ferrer is a fucking god in my book for that performance. One of my favorite films of all time. I like Kline, but he's not even in the neighborhood.

4. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

At least it's not the Steve Martin/Daryl Hannah version. Oy. I still can't believe that my sophomore year English teacher decided to show us that.

At least she also showed us one that was in black and white as well, because it was the end of the year and she was sick of teaching. But still.

5. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Saw that more than 20 years ago in English class when we were reading Cyrano. I completely concur.

Would like to see this one with Kline, though. And don't forget Sunjata played Reggie in "The Bronx is Burning."

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

You know, I've heard Ferrer's was great (his acting job, not his "giant hairy balls"), but I've never seen it. (Though, I've neither seen his gigantor nutsack.) I'll have to check it out (the acting... oh, nevermind). As for the Great Performances version, I'm already planning to buy it on DVD. Damn, it was good. I even cried at the end, with Cyrano's death. And applauded like I was in the audience, afterwards. Can't recommend it enough.

Draft saved Draft deleted