1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alert: Alexander Nevsky on IFC

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I love Ivan The Terrible, Part II -- somehow never seen this all the way through.

OK, fine, I know I'm the only one pretentious enough to enjoy Sergei Eisenstein movies.

Отвяжитесь.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Hey, the Battleship Potemkin kicks ass.

3. Bubbler

I'm just thankful someone here knows who Eisenstein is, much less tossing out one of his movies.

Only seen bits of Potemkin, it's a must-record if it ever pops on one of my movie channels, just as Nevsky is recording now.

Ivan The Terrible could conceivably be the weirdest "great" movie I've seen. It is so thoroughly Russian and expressionist in its way, but not like German silent movies that are more well known for being expressionist.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I've seen Nevsky, and I loved the score. But it was just too over-the-top propagandish (read: Anti-German) for me.

5. Bubbler

I've heard that about Nevsky. But in a way, I'm curious to see that aspect of it in addition to the filmmaking.

Kind of a window into how people were thinking at the time, like our own propoganda films are.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Oh, it served its purpose, no doubt.

7. Bubbler

I am shocked to the marrow this thread exceeded five posts.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I bet Alma's seen it, too.

9. Bubbler

I'll bet Alma translated it into English for the subtitles.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Potemkin was fantastic -- and the Odessa Steps sequence is so good, de Palma stole it for the big scene in "The Untouchables."

11. Bubbler

Ivan The Terrible, Part II isn't the first movie to use black-and-white and color to accentuate plot points, but its certainly the most different.

The color in that movie (which Eisenstein shot with stolen WWII German cameras) is the weirdest color palate and shadow I've seen in a movie. The only way to describe it is that it's muddy, but in extremely sharp contrast. An oxymoron, but you'd have to see it.

12. Oh, no you're not.
    GREAT action movie. And all those scary Russian faces.

Draft saved Draft deleted