1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aldridge returns

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jdklamp, Jan 30, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

From the thread on the layoffs:

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

More background.
    http://apse.dallasnews.com/2007/feb2007/020707carrig.html

3. doesn't explain anything

4. boots

boots New Member

You got several things working here. Aldridge is a good guy who got screwed. He's a big asset to the paper and I believe he's more productive than SAS. He brings a lot of sense where SAS brings nonsense.
    Jenks and the Inky brass made a good move and hopefully, the product will continue to improve.
    There are some who may try to put a racist spin on all of this. That may or may not be the case but the bottom line is that DA is very much respected in this business. He has paid his dues and is a pro.
    With any luck others such as Rob Parent, another vet, may make a return appearance. Here's hoping for the best.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

SAS the writer and SAS the television personality are not one and the same, as you know, boots. What limited writing of his that I've seen, I think it's been good stuff.

6. boots

boots New Member

I've seen it in forms I'd rather not discuss. He has improved over the years but he's not a finished product as he would like to believe. His contacts are great but if not for that, SAS wouldn't bring much to my breakfast table.

7. I wonder if Aldridge's return had anything to do with some black groups protesting the layoffs of minorities because it left the paper with an even smaller percentage than the paltry number it had prior to the cuts.

I like Aldridge's writing ... philly.com's got a bunch of good ones ... not fond of SAS either ... but Aldridge is terrible on TV.

8. boots

boots New Member

Unfortunately, the protests may have had an affect on DA's return. Management isn't talking about that aspect but it can't be ignored. DA is one of the brightest people in the business. He knows the situation.
    There are many at the Inky who prefer DA over SAS. Personality is a big reason but also who is more talented. DA's work isn't scrutinized as much as SAS. It's truth.

9. MiamiACC

MiamiACC New Member

I've been reading Aldridge's stuff since he was writing for Basketball America (remember THAT short-lived mag from the 90's?). I thought he was fine on TV on the old NBA 2Nite show, which I enjoyed WAY more than the crappy NBA shows ESPN has now. He was witty and had nice chemistry with the other guys on the show. I really miss his writing on espn.com, where he was by far their best columnist. SAS to me represents all that is bad on TV: the triumph of ego & loudness over thoughtfulness and analysis.

10. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

What that guy said.

And boots, why use the word, 'unfortunately' before you last post? The guy got his job back, how is that bad?

11. fletch b. fletch

fletch b. fletch New Member

Apparently, Aldridge should have never been let go in the first place. He should have been classified as a columnist and columnists were "protected" under the job purge. I don't know if that means someone else lost their job so he can come back. I'd like to think they just decided to bring him back, with no strings attached.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

ESPN's David Aldridge is reporting that there have been job cuts at The Philadelphia Inquirer. More as this story develops ...

Draft saved Draft deleted