1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aldon Smith

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cubbiebum, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Think he deserves his own thread.

1. He now owns the most sacks in first two seasons record, passing Reggie White. He's got 31.5 at this moment with 4.5 games left.

2. He is on pace to set the single season sack record.

My question, just how good is he and how much do the sacks come from having Justin Smith in front of him? To me, Justin Smith obviously helps but if you watch the games (I've watched all but one) he beats lineman 1-on-1 constantly. He does well in a speed rush but a lot of his sacks come from his great bull rush. He's got ridiculously long arms which makes it hard for lineman to get hands on him.

Is he better than Clay Mathews?

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Aldon Smith also benefits from having the best run stopping linebacker pair in the league to alleviate a lot of those duties. But he's very, very good.

Because I like being yelled at almost as much as I like making lists, Versatile's NFL pass-rusher power rankings:

1. DeMarcus Ware
    2. J.J. Watt
    3. Von Miller
    4. Clay Matthews
    5. Aldon Smith
    6. John Abraham
    7. Cameron Wake
    8. Jason Pierre-Paul
    9. Mario Williams
    10. Geno Atkins

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Aldon Smith is the best insane and socially unacceptable player the 49ers have had since Charles Haley. I'm even skipping right over TO.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

When Reggie White came into the league, teams weren't passing 70 percent of the time.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Vers, the fact that sorry ass Mario Williams makes your list and Terrell Suggs doesn't is absurd.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Suggs is playing third downs only right now, right?

Obviously, at full strength, he'd be top two.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Ok, I thought we were talking of the last few years.

Suggs is back to playing full time, I believe.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The Smith "Brothers" are proof Mizzou can churn out SEC-caliber talent.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think he's top five. I think it obviously helps that he plays on a defense with so many top-level players.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

TO was crazy when he was with the 49ers, but most people didn't see that until he got to Philly.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Weeping uncontrollably after catching the game-winning TD vs. Green Bay in the '98 playoffs should have been a tip-off. I remember thinking, "WTF is wrong with this guy?"

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

People knew he was crazy in SF -- dancing on the star and his first coach and QB feuds were out here.

But with Haley, I think the 49ers to this day feel somewhat fortunate that he did not severely injure or kill someone. And Smith is displaying some of those early tendencies -- he has had four eyebrow-raising incidents this year alone. My fave was his house party that ended with him getting stabbed and another person getting shot.

Good traits to have in a pass rusher, though. Last thing you want there is a normal human being.

Draft saved Draft deleted