1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alden Proposes Purchase of Tribune Publishing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Readallover, Dec 31, 2020.

1. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Same with me for my two years of service before the pension plan went away. Good thing the pensions aren't under the umbrella of the publishing spinoff.

Also getting one for my six years of service at Cox -- which, believe it or not, had an honest-to-goodness pension plan in place until two or three years ago.

Of course, they don't add up to that much, although it might be enough to offset the cost of nongroup health insurance if I decide to hang it up before Medicare kicks in.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  2. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

This guy seems to be universally hated for some reason.

Woody Long likes this.
  3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

There's high-profile writers making more on Substack. In some cases, way more.

Talk about a sea change.

The LA Times, a top 5 newspaper and they're paying $500,000 to $700,000 and Matty Yglesias bails on Vox/Slate/Wherever and immediately tops that by convincing a relatively small group of people to give him $5 a month.

Crazy man, crazy.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

He was banned from there. Hell has better people.

SixToe and Woody Long like this.
  5. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

Aside from Rush Limbaugh, Bob Jelenic is the only person I can think of who made legions of otherwise good people root for cancer.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The link to a New York Times article does not work when I copied it but the article said Tribune had digital revenues of 49 million dollars last year. This fro a company that owns papers in Orlando, New York City, Ft. Lauderdale, Baltimore and Chicago along with some smaller papers. What a disaster. And Alden will not invest in a digital product but instead milk the paper dry.

8. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Preaching to the choir, friend.

9. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

10. ChadFelter

ChadFelter Active Member

11. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted