1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alcoholidays

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Dec 24, 2012.

1. A 1913 New York Times article on portmanteaus included the word 'alcoholiday' which describes leisure time spent drinking. Today is a big "alcoholiday" for many people. The first day of March Madness is a great alcoholiday. The Super Bowl is another. My favorite is Patriots Day in Massachusetts which is supposed to commemorate the Battle of Lexington and Concord but is now known as Boston Marathon Monday with a 10 o'clock Red Sox game thrown in to start the drinking festivities.

Do you have a favorite alcoholiday?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Thursday.

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

There's only a DAY!?

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I would have thought Monday

5. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

along with what have become famous drinking holidays like St. Patricks day and Cinco de Mayo, there are a couple that I have long felt needed to be added to the calender.

Oct. 3, Tag der Deutschen Einheit. It will be like Cinco de Mayo but with better beer.

Dec. 5, the anniversary of the ratification of the 21st Amendment. What better reason to enjoy a beer than to celebrate your constitutional right of enjoying beer.

March 31, the release date of Bells Oberon

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

About 10 seconds after I get my son in bed. Nothing like being reminded on Dec. 24 that you've raised a greedy, amoral brat. Horrible but true.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Any tailgate Saturday, baseball opening day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, and other days that make me think of 'Merica.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

The day I get home from an Army trip.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

if she gets thursday, i'll take everyday that doesn't start with a TH.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

It's best to share your alcoholidays with those you love, petty.

So probably best you get your own days. ;)

11. Opening Day is a great alcoholiday. So are both days of the NFL Wildcard weekend.

12. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

today.
    Got a random day off in the middle of my work week, have no fam withing 800 miles, tons of hoops on TV. I'm getting my drink on. I want to be belligerently drunk by the time the Clippers tip.

Draft saved Draft deleted