1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alcoholic man aged 26 needs liver transplant

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr7134, Jan 15, 2012.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Here's the difference, as far as I see it: One drink will not kill you. One joint will not kill you. One hit of cocaine, meth, heroin can kill you, as Len Bias and many others, well, can't testify.

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

ding, ding. for anyone to then say alcohol is just as deadly it's asinine. it's abused more but can be handled in moderation by the majority.i same with marijuana. got a buddy who has a decent job with a pretty big corporation and he smokes 3-4 days a week and has been for at least the last 10 yrs.
    can crystal meth be handled in moderation. that's why i think it would be tough to just say legalize everything. should people just be able to easily get their hands on arsenic and anthrax.

3. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Think of alcohol in a broader scope, beyond just drinking it at moderation. You have to consider all the drunk driving-related deaths and accidents each year and how that impacts things. Drugs like meth and cocaine are more dangerous because they are easily addictive, and I would say marijuana is the least addictive "feel good" drug in society (and I never was on board with the idea that marijuana was a gateway drug).

I think, going back to Paul's point, that prisons should not be overloaded with people who do recreational drugs and are not involved in the selling aspect of the whole ordeal. Like, if someone wants to be a meth head it is their choice, but it doesn't change the fact that others should still help them and treat them for what is obviously an illness. But putting people behind bars does not solve anything; it only gives local government more money and makes the problem worse.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

There probably is a very good reason this has not been done, but what about legalization and oversight of drugs? Legalize and sell weed, coke, heroin, and in the process control the dosages so they aren't as lethal. Will some people still look for harder stuff? Sure. But it'll get some money out of the black market.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Is there a way to make meth that isn't insanely dangerous and that doesn't cause tremendous environmental damage, though? And I don't know the answer to that, although I suspect that I do.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Yeah, not so much.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Yeah, it's a damn shame Len Bias had to try cocaine, for the first time ever in his entire whole life we swear no really it really was his first time and only time and cocaine kills and Coca Cola might too, that night.

Cocaine (and for the most part, heroin) can kill on one hit only if it's not pure cocaine, if a person is allergic to it or if a person overdoses. The same could be said about alcohol during Prohibition. We regulate alcohol so it's far less likely that happens, though overdoses continue to occur. The same would be true of those drugs with regulation.

Crystal meth, on the other hand ... there's no pure alternative for that street drug, and it's wildly physically addictive, as is crack cocaine.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Yes, meth is addictive. But put meth addicts to work as productive contributors to our economy instead of leaving them in the trailer park to sand down the paint on the station wagon and repaint it three times before they crash.

9. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

One man needs a new liver at twenty-six and on the flip side you have this guy...

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/9481776.Ex_pub_landlord_who_drank_40_pints_a_day_attacks_alcohol_warnings/

Draft saved Draft deleted