1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alcoholic man aged 26 needs liver transplant

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr7134, Jan 15, 2012.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Prohibition? Pfft, they tried that in the movies and it didn't work. I predict this is the last we'll be hearing about Prohibition.

2. dieditor

dieditor Member

Getting launched in a catapult is a hell of a deterrent.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

[​IMG]

Thinks Prohibition is a helluva idea.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

The War on Drugs is an excuse to militarize police. It is an addiction of its own.

5. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

The War on Drugs is an atrocity that has cost taxpayers billions of dollars to curb an "epidemic" that has only made international cartels much more viable. Personally, I don't see the difference between alcohol and drugs -- except that one is legal and one is not. Eliminating the War on Drugs would cut out the middle man and, thus, save lives in America and beyond. If people want to do something they will do it, just like if someone wants to get shitfaced at a bar seven days a week, that will happen.

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

you don't see a difference between alcohol and drugs or you just mean weed? you really aren't saying crystal meth, coke and heroin are the same as alcohol are you?

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

What makes the harder drugs so costly is the crime caused by addicts who try to feed a habit made ridiculously expensive by the price supports our drug laws give to the cartels.

I've said all along, legalize the whole lot. You'll put the cartels out of business, put a dent in our national debt through taxation, clear up maybe 50% of the crime in this country and close a bunch of prisons.

8. cjericho

it's a little more than that. like the potency of the drugs is just a bit different. there are doctors that suggest a small amount of wine has health benefits. marijuana also has a medicinal purpose. do any doctors ever prescribe crystal meth or heroin?

9. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

That is Ron Paul's outlook: legalize all of it and let people choose their own fate. Doctors used to prescribe cocaine for toothaches. And I do consider marijuana as its own entity in the drug world; I almost don't even consider it a drug because of its natural state, where as meth is made in a lab by somebody who is well educated in chemical reactions and the like. But alcohol is as deadly as other drugs -- just read the original post in this thread.

10. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

The problem with letting people choose their own fate is that a caring and benevolent society does not allow that to happen. Instead, we pick up the pieces of bad decision making, legal or illegal, and hope to adjust behavior to prevent recurrent consequences. When somebody chooses to drive drunk, we do not let them die in the ditch. When somebody decides to drive sober in unsafe winter conditions, we do not let them die in the ditch.

By the way, cocaine is still an option to help shrink blood vessels prior to electric cautery when treating significant nosebleeds in the ER

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The war on drugs has been an expensive and monumental failure and has done nothing to stem the tide of drug usage in this country while creating a black market and an illegal drug trade that has turned violent and bloody as gangs and other thugs have dominated said trade and have started many wars based on control of the drug trade.

It is a big reason many areas of our inner cities are war zones.

And do you remember the era of prohibition? Does the name Al Capone ring a bell, because prohibition - and the black market for alcohol it created - enabled gangsters like him to rise to power so quickly.

12. cjericho

no it's not as deadly. a knife can kill someone and so can an atomic bomb so a knife is as deadly as an atomic bomb. many people can drink alcohol in moderation. do you know many people who can take crystal meth in moderation? if you start drinking at age 10 and continue it probably won't end well. i do think marijuana should be legal and agree the war on drugs hasn't been successful. i just don't think when government is supposed to protect the people that legalizing every drug is consistent with that.

Draft saved Draft deleted