1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alcoholic man aged 26 needs liver transplant

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr7134, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

Man, I feel bad for the guy. Having your liver done in by twenty-six takes some doing. It really is sad to see someone so young in such a state.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-16441478

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

My wife's cousin was right around 30 when he died recently of "blunt force trauma to the liver."

As best as we can all piece it together, he fell or stumbled into a table in his basement during the afternoon. His liver was presumably so weakened by years of alcoholism (he'd done hard time for multiple DUIs) that the direct shot caused it to hemorrhage and he died sitting on his knees and leaning against the couch, presumably never having any idea what kind of danger he was in.

3. black59razor

black59razor New Member

I, too, feel bad for him - and, of course, for your wife's cousin. What a senseless and tragic loss of life. I know some on a site like this might scoff at this, but maybe we need to approach alcohol like we do other drugs. The war on drugs has sent a powerful message to citizens that doing these things is not safe. Yet we take a hands off approach to a drug that kills even more of them.

4. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

I'll drink to that.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I knew a young guy like this at one newspaper stop. He was on the verge of serious liver problems, and it shamed me because I had done some drinking with the guy. Might be dead now for all I know. I don't wish to check.

6. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Are you advocating bringing back Prohibition?

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The war on drugs has done a lot of things, but anyone who wants to do drugs will still, without hesitation. Infinite DARE class and sting operations aren't going to change that.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hondo hasn't checked in to say the guy got what he deserved? Someone send out a search party.

A guy I knew fairly well in junior high school died last year at age 39 of liver issues brought about by alcohol abuse. He was told to stop drinking or he'd die. He died. Left behind a teenaged daughter. Extremely sad.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Can we execute his parents? How the hell does a 10-year-old start drinking regularly?

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If pot was legal, the liver transplant industry would go broke overnight.

The Mexican cartels? Eh, fuck 'em.

11. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

Personally, I think that the "War on Drugs" has been a total failure. I have never heard an argument that has been able to convince me otherwise. The way that the "War on Drugs" is continually pursued reminds me of a poker player on tilt.

12. KG

KG Active Member

For the war on drugs to work, people have to fear repercussions. I don't smoke weed because I don't want to go to jail. It's as simple as that. For some that fear just does not exist. For some the addiction is too strong for that fear to even matter.

Heavy drinking takes a toll on your body, therefore my drinking is usually limited to the summer months. I'd get a fix of some fun for awhile and then hardly touch a drop for the next year. I don't want to wreck my body with alcohol, so I stop. But the reason I stop is because I am not addicted to it. Others don't have that ability to stop, at least not on their own.

I think it's really sad to hear about people losing their life through a battle with addiction. It's even more shocking when it is someone so young. It's easier to think that while we are young our bodies are more invincible.

Draft saved Draft deleted