1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alcohol in the clubhouse?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, May 14, 2007.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Brewers have already announced they will not be banning beer. Good for them.

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Brewers? Change the name! Miller Park? Change it to High Life in terms of how they're playing right now.
    Coors Field? The Rockies play like Coors Light! (crappy that is)
    Busch Stadium? The way they're playing right now is Bush League.

3. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

This isn't a huge moral issue, or even a huge safety issue, since I don't think players are leaving the clubhouse and getting behind the wheel shit-faced. I'm just saying that teams providing alcohol to their athletes is a completely illogical practice, one that exists only because it began so long ago. If someone tried to introduce that idea today, most owners would laugh it off as ridiculous. If you're paying someone for their athletic performance, why would you make it easier for them to drink, smoke, eat badly, stay out all night or do anything else that might negatively affect that performance in any way? Especially when you're spending big bucks to keep those bodies in the best possible shape in the first place. I realize they're big boys and some of them will do those things anyway, but for teams to help enable them is just dumb.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

They're not "enabling" them at all. They're having a fucking beer after a game.

It's not going to "negatively" affect their performance.

Stop acting like they're 12 years old or worse, 20 year old college students.

And it's only baseball.

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

But isn't that how most of them act?

---------------

Now if there was a policy that they could get their beer only after they've talked to the media.... :)

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I just checked again, and this still isn't a thing.

7. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Whatever. I made my point, and I'm not going to get into a back-and-forth to answer responses as simple-minded as that one. Have a cold one on me.

8. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

So should they ban Coca-Cola from the clubhouse? It's just as unhealthy as light beer. Heck, it's probably even worse for you.

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

The difference is, driving under the influence of Coca Cola has not been proven to kill.

College journo, please think...

10. WSKY

WSKY Member

I've been in one or two press boxes where after the game — and on deadline — I've been asked if I'd like a beer.

11. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

He had to get five outs yet faced Ramirez twice?

I guess that was worth a Bud Light, but nothing better.

Did Don Stanhouse make a comeback while I wasn't looking?

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Driving simply doesn't factor in.

They don't have to drive. Hell, the visitors don't have cars.

It's still not a deal.

Draft saved Draft deleted