1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Albums Your Parents Instilled In You?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Splendid Splinter, Feb 20, 2021.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Motown. All of it.

qtlaw likes this.
  2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

One of my dad's all-time favorite albums.

My mom never really got into popular music after her high school fascination with the Beatles.

The rest of my dad's musical tastes were split between stuff I love to this day (Dylan, Springsteen, Van Morrison, Let it Bleed-era Stones, Elton John) and acts I never liked (Neil Diamond, Billy Joel, Barry Manilow).

3. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

Both parents would be 100+ years old if still alive.
    Oklahoma!, My Fair Lady, South Pacific, Glenn Miller, Mills Brothers, Ink Spots, Tony Bennett, Burl Ives, Phil Harris.

Songbird likes this.
  4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

My parents are in their early 70s, and their collection of 1960s rock and pop was thoroughly sampled when I was young.
    Among the not-yet-mentioned LPs in their collection: Paul Revere and the Raiders, whose cheesy uniforms I found cool as a kid. My dad was in various wedding and rock bands and they used to cover songs like "Hungry" and "Kicks."
    Don't think they wore the Revolutionary War uniforms, though.

garrow, cyclingwriter2 and misterbc like this.
  5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

My mom was deep into things like the Lettermen, Elvis and the Statler Brothers. I … wasn’t.

But once upon a time she failed to send back the RCA Record Club monthly card back and ended up with an LP copy of that greatest hits package by Waylon Jennings that was everywhere in mid-1979. I know she took the plastic wrap off but I’m not sure if she ever actually played it.

I’m also not sure if she knew I pilfered it for my own record collection, but 11- and 12-year-old me played the hell out of that record.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Elvis Presley and Neil Diamond.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Love Me Tender On The Rocks ...

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I was belting out "Song Song Blue" at the tender age of 4.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Try "After the Lovin'" at 4.

garrow and Flip Wilson like this.
  10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

This is the first time I have felt OK about having “Elvira” as my 5-year-old jam.

Flip Wilson and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  11. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

My dad has some definite opinions about Neil Diamond. And Sweet Caroline. (He loves the former, hates the latter.)

12. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

So much Elton John, on LPs, owned by my mom. I remember replaying "Madman" and "Burn Down the Mission," over and over, trying to hit the mark just right with the needle.

I was proud to, as a college kid, take her to an Elton show at the Dean Dome, from the third row. Stood in line at Ticketmaster in an NC ice storm to buy to tickets months before the show. ("The One" tour, and it was my treat. Still proud I did that.)

I have missed her for 15 years now.

Draft saved Draft deleted