1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Albums you haven't listened to in a while

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Feb 24, 2011.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

I can understand that, but to me, it's still an album that can be enjoyed as a relic of the times. There will never be another band that goes from the fringes to the biggest band in the land like Metallica did, or an album that owns rock radio like that.

Again, if that wasn't the greatest summer of my life, I might feel differently.

2. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Among those I've rediscovered recently:
    Everclear's So Much for the Afterglow: The popular singles included Father of Mine, I Will Buy You a New Life and One Hit Wonder. But my favorite track was Sunflowers.

Soul Asylum's Let Your Dim Light Shine: Misery's a great track, but the album is so much more than that.

They Might be Giants' Flood: If you know, you know.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

^^^^IJAG's new bestie^^^^

4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Poco -- A Good Feeling to Know

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Altered Beast is harder than 100% Fun, but just as good. Excellent album.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If I ever get a turn table again first thing I would do is crank up Skynyrd -One More For The Road. Then I would move on to the rest of my Southern rock collection-- The Outlaws, Charlie Daniels,Marshall Tucker, and The Allman Brothers. Fill up a cooler of beer and say it would be a pretty good time. Might even convince 21 to join me.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Just downloaded a best-of by a band called The Windbreakers who I discovered on eMusic. Damn good -- they were contemporaries of REM, Let's Active and the dBs, but never broke through to the varying degrees the others did.

Anyway, I just listened to the whole thing on iTunes and alphabetically the next album up is "In a Chamber" by Wire Train, from I think 1983 or so. Jeez, what a great album. One or two songs got a tiny amount of airplay on "new wave" radio back in the day, and them commercially they were done. They deserved better.

8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

When I drove cross-country, I let my niece pick out the discs for me to take. She certainly pulled out a variety of crap.

Among them: Richard Marx, Repeat Offender; Steve Winwood, Back in the High Life.

It was that long of a road trip that I actually listened to them.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

You poor, poor soul. If you get stuck on another one with a CD player handy, let me know. We can do much better than that.

10. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Dawn Patrol
    Mechanical Resonance
    Hi Infidelity
    Ride the Lightning

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I was deeply into Yes when I was a kid. I'm kinda afraid to go back and listen to that stuff now.

Good to hear people saying nice things about "Automatic for the People." One of my desert island CDs, for sure.

Of the albums I listened to a lot in the past, I've made a habit of giving "Aja" a regular listen, and "Brothers in Arms." Can't remember the last time listened to "Dark Side of the Moon," though. And it's been forever since I have listened to the "White Album" all the way through. Even longer since I listened to "Piano Man."

Some homework assignments, then.

Draft saved Draft deleted