1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Albom re-runs 22-year-old column

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Starman, Jan 16, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The Anchor. I understand now.

2. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Are you sure they don't read Beowulf and TSL, too.

Morrie works in a freshman classroom.

3. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

I think that Mitch wrote something new ... the sidebar explanation with the "lo these many years" crap.

My 8th grade son has had to read Albom books each of the last 2 years. At parent-teacher night, when we visited the English teacher and she handed out the list of books to be read, I thought I'd puke. I've told my son what he did on the Final Four column. Both he and my wife think I'm too hard on Mitchie by labeling him a fraud.

4. silentbob

silentbob Member

I guess they should change his bio to something along the lines of:

'Albom has authored "Tuesdays with Morrie," which spent four years on the bestseller's list and is the bestselling memoir of all time. His first novel "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" was the most successful first novel in US History. He is beloved by millions --- except for the few dozen posters on sportsjournalists.com who choose to remember the one messup -- a major one -- in Albom's 22 years of writing a newspaper column. Never mind that some of the most respected editors and leaders in the industry have awarded him with the profession's highest honor more than any other sports journalist. Apparently, those several dozen posters know something the rest of us do not -- like the one who claims that "Tuesdays" is probably more fiction than nonfiction. (SCANDAL! ... But wait, how would he know?) And the other who found it convenient that Morrie couldn't dispute any inaccuracies because he is in fact, well dead. (ANOTHER SCANDAL! Mitch must have killed or bought off Morrie's relatives to silence them!) Serious thoughts from serious journalists. But here at The Free-Press we will side with the thousands who read his columns and the millions who buy his books and keep him on staff. Enjoy.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Dear Mitch:

1993, Bob Edwards: [​IMG]

1997, you: [​IMG]

Got an original thought yet?

7. times38

times38 Member

"Five People" reads like it was written by a sixth-grader. Especially the first paragraph.

I did enjoy his book on the Fab Five quite a bit. I read it three or four times when I was in high school.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Chris webber enjoyed it too. got a big chuckle out of it.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Why start, now?

10. Goddamn, slap, that one caught too much of the plate, didn't it?

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Crossed up the catcher... right in the wheelhouse.

12. I think it's over the right field roof and onto Trumbull Street.

Draft saved Draft deleted