1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Albom re-runs 22-year-old column

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Starman, Jan 16, 2008.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Re: RELEASE ... THE ... HOUNDS ...

He never appeared in The Client, so fuck him.

2. Re: RELEASE ... THE ... HOUNDS ...

What if you could read a Mitch column you read before for just One More Day?

If "Letter To Joshua" -- Mitch's note to Isiah's newborn son -- doesn't run again I'm going to be very disappointed.
    I was witness to -- and, I confess, part of -- a dramatic reading of that opus in a hospitality suite many years ago.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I was telling a non-journo colleague about Mr. Albom after noticing she was reading "Five People." She seemed interested in knowing that, but I suspect it didn't stop her from finishing the publication.

Still, I wouldn't hesitate to call "BS" on any ignorant professor/instructor who thinks that making Albom a must-read is a good idea.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And who, pray tell, did the dramatic reading? More importantly, was there alcohol served and how much had you consumed?

5. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

guess mitch only writes about dead people because they can never accuse him of misquoting him or fabricating stories

fucking fraud

6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

At least he didn't write a column about an event that's going to happen 22 years from now.

7. Born to Run

Born to Run Member

I don't know which old column they'll run next, but I can tell you what my reaction will be:

I read it with tears in my eyes, thinking to myself, 'This is just the (happy/sad/witty) message I needed this (rainy/sunny/foggy) day' as I pored over the magical words in my (boxers/jeans/khakis) while eating (Cheerios/Toast/leftover spaghetti) and feeding my (newborn baby/toddler/pre-schooler). I felt like I was right there in the stands at that (NCAA tournament game/Super Bowl/Wimbledon match _ NOTE TO EDITOR: might need actual addition here.)."

Man, sure does feel good to have the discipline to do my writing early and have the rest of the week off.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

If any of you think you could bring yourselves to write a new column on the day Brad Renfro buys the farm ... well, let me say that Mitch Albom has a heart.

9. I will say only that several members of the Boston and Detroit press corps were involved, and that I had the honor of reading the lede and that we all went to the Anchor afterwards and read it again.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Whew. I thought this might be about Wayne Fontes "penning his own epitaph."

11. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I didn't even read the column. The note about the series made me gag before I got there:

Mitch has a rare mix of insight, compassion and conviction. He has been making readers think for lo so many years.

"Lo so many years?"

Alas, what garbage.

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Forsooth! Would that 'twere true! Alack!

[Exit, chased by bear]

Draft saved Draft deleted