1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Albert Breer wants proof about the n-word at Fenway

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CD Boogie, May 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

If you're wondering why Breer is on his fifth job in 10 years, this is a good example. Guy is his own worst enemy.

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The Red Sox weren't the last team to integrate because the city was racist. It was the last team to integrate because Tom Yawkey was racist. The Celtics were the first team to start an all black lineup. The first to have a black coach. The Bruins had the first black player in the NHL. To claim what a South Carolinian did as proof of Boston's racism is silly.

3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I'm not defending Boston. I'm not from Boston. I've never lived near Boston. I hate Boston, except for Anna's Taqueiria. I root for the teams associated with the city because they're closer to where I live than any other pro team.

This thread should just be locked because this is a journalism board. If you want to dump on the city and the politics and have a discussion on race, there's other boards for that and I'm just going to assume you're a hack and you're perfectly fine with single-sourced journalism because it makes a place/team you hate look bad. Bottom line - Jones said something. No one corroborated. The team apologized for the peanuts, said they were investigating the slurs. More people apologized in response to what Jones said. High school kid tells a national reporter he was at the game, says a bunch of things that make it sound like he definitely wasn't. Stories are being written as if what was Jones is saying is the gospel even though there's a chance he misheard (but probably not).

But instead of having a reasonable discussion about whether or not you would go with the story based on a single source or dive into a discussion about chasing down sources who were there or writing about how the possibility that this didn't happen is the same as if it did, let's just continue to generalize a place you've never been and a board poster you don't know.

4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

This is an assumption. You need some sources.

Rhody31 likes this.
  5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Who is writing about Boston who has never been there?

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Guess Adam Jones and CC Sabathia are silly.

7. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

More liberals.

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

so more liberals make it more racist? that doesn't hold water.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Every time I make the mistake of checking this thread, someone is making it political. Don't do that. We have a politics thread and we did it against our better judgment because we didn't want politics to spill onto every thread. QWEUuSSPY, you have a place to shit on your hated liberals all you want.
    This is not that place.

10. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

They're not the JV team.

11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

The world is a little more complex than you're making it out to be. Boston is a liberal city. Boston is a racist city. Not a coincidence.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

OK then, we'll do it your way. Thanks for playing

PaperClip529 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.