1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Albany Times-Union Editor: I know something you don't know!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flying Headbutt, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Whereas most of us here know what generally goes on, so to us it's nothing but horseshit.

2. the name should be in the police report - which is public record. stupid column. print it or don't

3. deadliner

deadliner Member

I agree. Column is holier than thou.

I know this is off topic, but does anyone else wonder how she wasn't in violation of the seat belt law? She sat on his lap and buckled in? Seems sort of kinky.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

She wasn't charged with a violation of the seat belt law.

Doesn't mean she wasn't guilty.

5. patchs

patchs Active Member

The TU has competition in Troy, Schenecetady, Saratoga and Glens Falls.
    Maybe one of them will have the guts to print the name.
    This ex-Congressman has a bad record when it comes to domestic issues.
    He drinks, beat the crap out of his ex-wife and got her to lie about it in a last-ditch effort to get re-elected.
    Good riddance.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Seems to me this thing should address whether the guy is married.

7. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

An earlier article does, if you're interested:
    http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=638244&TextPage=1

Apparently still going through a divorce.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i think a column could have been written without coming off as a dick fairly easily ... if a column even was necessary.

9. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

What part of her was in his lap? Was she giving him a mouth hug?

I'd print the name? You don;t have to go National Enquirer on the girl, just print her name. If she's messing around with a politician, she's sort of thrown herself into the public anyway.

If everyone in the newsroom knows, chances are most everyone else knows too.

10. Gold

Gold Active Member

Elizabeth Ray and Wayne Hays. Donna Rice and Gary Hart.

If the name of the woman is in the police report, it's public record and should be reported. Maybe Rex Smith could justify his argument if he were in public relations and doing damage control. This certainly doesn't wash as the head of a newspaper editorial section. What is especially bad is the fact that this newspaper is in a city which is a state capital.

Withholding the name raises more questions or problems than if you published it. Did you do it because of one party or the other? Was she the daughter of an influential politico? Does she know somebody at the paper?

This kind of goes to Lyman's question - does anybody remember Fanne Fox? The answer for most people is no. You really have to have a reason to remember her even if you were old enough - you would have had to be interested in politics or remember Playboy magazines.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Self-serving codswallop. Why write a story about not writing a story?

That said, Sweeney was charged with a DUI.

As a reader I could care less about he identity of the person in the car unless it has something directly to do with the case. Which it doesn't.

Draft saved Draft deleted