1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Albany Times-Union Editor: I know something you don't know!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flying Headbutt, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=639874&category=REXSMITH&BCCode=&newsdate=11/19/2007

Responsible journalism that stays above the fray of gossip and innuendo, for once? Or just covering for a politician?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What horsebleep.

Why wave this around as an example of responsible journalism? I don't even agree. I think sitting on the lap of a drunken congressman (I presume in a moving vehicle) is enough bad judgment to warrant you getting your name in the papers.

You keep on being holier than thou, though Rexie.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Can't be the former when you adopt a "na-na-na-na na-nah" tone, that's for sure.

The "go knock yourselves out on Google, folks" line was what irked me most. I can accept "we're not going to pander to lurid curiosity" because I think a newspaper should be more responsible with what it prints (except for the fact that I do think her identity is newsworthy, on this one.) But there's nothing worse than when someone feels compelled to explain, at length and to the world, how righteous they feel about themselves.

4. markvid

markvid Guest

But I bet their newsroom has gone 110% to find a pic of her.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes. We won't ID her in the paper, but check online where she is modeling lingerie on our website.

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

This is the same guy who, a week ago, defended his reporter and editors for running a story that talked about riding with a guy do 160 mph on the Northway (I-87) in the rain on a Friday afternoon and never responded to the guy's contention that it was fabricated.

I hate it, hate it, hate it when journalists take that snotty tone, on purpose or not.

That said, I generally like the paper.

7. This is ridiculous. Of course she should be identified. Anybody remember Fannie Foxe and Wilbur Mills?

And the snotty tone makes it even worse.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

This faux standards bullshit is just that, bullshit.

I was half expecting him to type nanny-nanny-nanny, neener-neener.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

hahahahah, can't wait until within the next two days someone posts the woman's identity alongside a big FU to that editor.

10. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

I don't disagree with the overall idea.

The tone makes me want to, though.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

The tone did strike me as rather superior. Then again, columns usually sound that way when columnists feel they need to explain a newspaper's process to the general readership.

12. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

So come on, don't we have her name yet?

Draft saved Draft deleted