1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alaska's contribution to baseball (two stories on Midnight Sun Game) ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Claws for Concern, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Great Jeff Passan column today on the annual Midnight Sun Game in Fairbanks, Alaska.

I attended the 1990 game and I have a baseball and a program from the 2005 game, the 100th edition of the contest.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AlC2Q_BN4BmZMesktj2gOtk5nYcB?slug=jp-midnightsun062107&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

The follow-up column link (the gamer/column story) is located on the second page of this thread.

2. chazp

chazp Active Member

Re: Alaska's contribution to baseball ...

According to the article the game should end at 2 a.m. Would anyone out there like a 3 a.m. deadline?

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I thought this thread would be about Curt Schilling.

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

When I attended the game in 1990, it started at 10:30 p.m.

5. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Whoever is covering the game is probably well versed in the Midnight Game and gets plenty of rest leading up to it.

6. thedeparted

thedeparted New Member

Alaska has made a tremendous contribution to baseball since the inception of the Alaskan collegiate baseball league which has turned into one of the premier amateur summer baseball leagues in the world. Several amateur players have spent at least one summer developing in that league and gone on to major league careers.

7. frozen tundra

frozen tundra Member

I thought you were talking about me...a five-time Little League all-star up on the tundra.

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Nice thing about that is, you still can play a round of golf after filing your story.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

This is one of the things I want to see before I die.

10. chazp

chazp Active Member

But only if you still awake!

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I thought it would be about Trajan Langdon trying his hand at curveballs.

12. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

So, this is pretty much outing myself (if any of you feel like finding tomorrow's article) but I'm the lucky SOB who gets to cover this tonight. It's roughly a 15 minute deadline, which kind of stinks because you don't get to have as much fun with this game as you would if you were doing a magazine feature or something. But we usually go to press at midnight, and the whole paper gets help up for little old me, so I've got to kinda crank like there's no tomorrow.
    This is the first MSG I get to cover. I went to the game last year (it was my first day up in Fairbanks), but now I get the joy of covering it, so wish me luck.

If you have a chance to check it out, I'd highly recommend it. The baseball is pretty good quality and it's like nothing you can see anywhere else.
    If any of you decide to come up next year, let me know. The Alaskan Amber will be on me!

Draft saved Draft deleted