1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alaska ideas

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Magic In The Night, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I heard they have an opening for a crazy guy to live with the bears.
    Apparently the job has been open for several years.

2. WhiskeyRiver

WhiskeyRiver New Member

No kidding, bring warm clothes. We're in the middle of what is shaping up to be the coldest summer on record in Anchorage. We've only cracked 70 degrees 2 or 3 times. Right now it's cloudy, rainy and 55, or in other words a typical day this summer.

As for things to do in Anchorage, you could indeed go to Humpy's -- it's a great place with great food and a lot of different beers on tap -- and sample the Moose's Tooth IPA or you could actually go to Moose's Tooth, a gourmet pizza joint, and sample all of their fine brews from the source.

Downtown has a lot of touristy things to sample, like signage all over the place detailing the history of the city and a statue of Balto, one of the dogs involved on the serum run to Nome that eventually inspired the Iditarod. The Anchorage Museum is also downtown, or you could hitch a ride out to the Alaska Native Heritage Center, where you'd likely see a demonstration of Native games that will amaze you.

If you're feeling adventurous, find your way to Far North Bicentennial Park, where there's a decent chance you'll get mauled by a bear.

The train ride to Seward is amazing. You'll pass by Portage Glacier, and the train slows down to a crawl several times for photo ops of wildlife and whatnot. Seward itself is a pretty cool place. If you have the chance, make you're way downtown to Thorn's Showcase Lounge. It is a relic from another place and time. The Yukon Bar right across the street is a cool place as well, and usually has live music of some sort.

You may be tempted to go to the Alaska SeaLife Center in Seward. Don't. It is ridiculously expensive and you will see and learn so much more about wildlife on the cruise you will really feel robbed. My only caveat to that is if you've got young children. The SeaLife Center is geared toward that age group and the kiddies would probably like it. Still way too expensive, though.

I've been on a few wildlife cruises that go around Resurrection Bay, but I've never made it out into the Gulf. I can guarantee you will be impressed.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

That's a great post WhiskeyRiver.

Looks like there is a lot to experience up there.

4. Colton

Colton Active Member

Paging Amraeder, Mr. Raeder to the white courtesy phone, please

5. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Stop by The Brick, try to get a date with Shelly.

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Don't go in February. Take a camera; it's the prettiest place on the planet.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Spent 2 1/2 weeks there five years ago in mid-June (went to the Midnight Sun baseball game in Fairbanks) and it was fantastic. Probably bit off more than we could chew. We went from Anchorage to Denali to Fairbanks to Valdez to the Kenai.

The place is awesome. I loved the Kenai and Denali. Anchorage (I have family there) is a pretty cool place.

And, yes, take hiking shoes. You'll do some amazing hikes and walks.

I can't wait to get back.

My brother took the train ride to Seward and raved about it.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That's not dollars? What do they use, moose antlers and bear teeth?

Oh ... one mandatory item: Extra-strength mosquito repellent.

9. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Wow! Thanks everybody for all the great suggestions. Especially the detailed post from Whisky River. I also got a pm from amraeder with some great tips. I'm taking two cameras and binoculars so I should be well-prepared to see wildlife although I must admit seeing them up close is probably not at the top of my to-do list. This thread has definitely made me even more excited for the trip.

Draft saved Draft deleted