1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alaska ideas

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Magic In The Night, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Headed to our 49th state. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

PM Amraeder. He's from up that way. That's really all I've got.

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Is the summer baseball season over up there? If not, try to catch a game in Fairbanks or Anchorage.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Didn't their summer season end after one game?

I keed, I keed.

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Bring a jacket.

6. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Go to a locals fishing store and make connections to fish for salmon in the middle of nowhere.

7. GOT to go to Humpy's Ale House in Anchorage and order the Moose's tooth. I want to say it was an IPA - great taste.

The White Pass Railroad in Skagway was outstanding, in fact there wasn't anything in Alaska that wasn't. Went there 10 years ago and I can remember every minute of it.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

Stay in a hotel, not a bus.

9. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

wear comfortable shoes! seriously.

I enjoyed every second I spent in Alaska, and a mjority of it was spent hiking and walking through villages.
    Nowadays with all the cruise traffic in many cities, the foot traffic is more prevalant than vehicles.

Just don't try to take everything in. The board could be a bigger help if we had more specifics on your trip. Alaska, after all, is a pretty big state so I've heard.

10. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I took a six-hour bus trip through Denali National Park when I visited a while back. Absolutely fantastic. If you're up that way, I highly recommend it.

And if you any driving at all, beware of moose. Seriously.

11. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

OK, I'll try to be more specific. I'm flying into Anchorage, spending one night there, then taking a train to Seward and going on a cruise. The stops are Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait Point and Ketchikan. It also cruises past the Hubbard Glacier. And thanks for all the suggestions so far. I won't be conducting any motor vehicles that I know of. I can't even imagine hitting a moose. We have enough trouble with all the deer here in the Midwest!

12. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Baseball season's done, so you can't catch any of that. I've never made it down to the southeast part of the state, but you might want to hit the Alaskan Brewing Company in Juneau. Other than that, bring something suitable for cold rain, don't buy a sweatshop-made ulu and remember to exchange your dollars for the local currency before you go.

Draft saved Draft deleted