1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alan Webb U.S. Mile Record (3:46.91) -- Where (if anywhere) is it played?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by write then drink, Jul 21, 2007.

1. i'll agree he can't be considered one of the greatest until he wins a medal at worlds or olympics, that's fair

i just don't agree with the popular characterization of him being some sort of disappointment so far, or that he's failed to meet expectations or come up short, whatever

by the way ... what do you mean by "after a double?"

2. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Guess I'm not as big a track nut as I thought. This is the first I'd heard of Aouita being associated with drugs.

Here's the stuff about him and some Aussie runners:
    http://www.vanguardngr.com/articles/2002/sports/february06/19022006/sp319022006.html

I spent some time looking for his performances as an athlete sitting under a cloud of suspicion and found nothing. How do we know he doped?

3. 1:43.84 for Webb today

1:42.60 ........ Johnny Gray (SMTC) 85
    1:43.20 ....... Mark Everett (PBar) 97
    1:43.35 ......... David Mack (SMTC) 85
    1:43.38 ........ Rich Kenah (Asics) 97
    1:43.5+ ..... Rick Wohlhuter (UCTC) 74
    1:43.62 ......... Earl Jones (SMTC) 86
    1:43.84 ......... Alan Webb 07

source - http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/lists/all_time/us_at_m.html

is Steve Cram the only guy to run faster for both 800 and a mile?

Cram: 1:42.88 --- 3:46.32
    Webb: 1:43.84 --- 3:30.54 - 3:46.91

Aouita was 1:43.86 and 3:46.76

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yeah, I saw this and was stunned. Webb is now No. 1 in the world this year at 1500 and the mile and No. 2 in the 800. He sure looks ready to make a run at a world championship next month.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

semi?

6. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Yeah, like you helped this thread at all by chiming in eight days later with a stupid-ass remark.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

no. feel free to semi-jack away, newbie.

your insight is sophomoric intriguing.

8. I think "failed to meet expectations or come up short" can be used for his world championships performance.

9. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

That was a great 8th place finish in the 1500 M for Webb at the Worlds. He should be right up in the front if he wants to be considered a world class runner. The big races are when he folds. He can win the small ones, but when he toes the line for the more important ones, it's anyone's guess.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Lagat came up big, Webb did not .. why was I not surprised?

11. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Lagat is a true competitor. He shines on the grandest of stages. Webb on the other hand, is like an off-Broadway production. Good enough to be in the vicinity of Broadway, but not quite the caliber yet.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Of course, off Broadway has nothing to do with that but I get your point.
    Size of the theater is key with Broadway and off Broadway.

Draft saved Draft deleted