1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alan Webb U.S. Mile Record (3:46.91) -- Where (if anywhere) is it played?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by write then drink, Jul 21, 2007.

1. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

OK, I accept your argument and propose an end to my semi-threadjack.

Back to the original question: Where did folks play the story in Sunday's editions?

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I don't care one bit if the 1,600 is "a U.S. high school invention."

It's four laps.

P.S. Briefs. And that's from a track junkie.

3. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

You should have heard the crap I got from my co-workers for knowing what the old AR was down to the hundredths and knowing what Webb's career progression has been. These are the same people who know who drives every car (and the car's number, make, model and sponsor) on the Nextel Circuit, as well as the stats and history of everybody on their fantasy baseball teams.

And I'm the odd one. We played it in briefs as well. Let's see Webb get it done in Osaka.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

And that is the whole story of Alan Webb. Let's see him, for once in his life, run big in a big race.
    This kid was the future of American distance running and has had a nice career. Breaking the AR is a nice accomplishment -- even at a little-known meet with 1,000 people or less in attendance.
    But he has never come through in a major championship event other than USA championships.

5. Bearcat Wright

Bearcat Wright New Member

You probably could have splashed this all over the cover if you could have related it to david beckham.

6. don't think this is entirely fair

how many has he run?

Olympics in 2004 as a 21-year-old and Worlds mile in 2005 as a 22-year-old obviously bad races that you would think he's learned from

but in addition to running fantastic in the U.S., he's raced extremely well in Europe -- he ran 3:48 at Bislett, had that hot 5,000 in Berlin in 2005, won that 800 in Seville in 1:46 a few weeks ago and a 1500 win in Paris and then obviously the AR in Belgium

people love blasting Webb for all these bad races, but i don't know where they are. who wins everything? i mean, how many runners in the history of the planet have done what he's done - 1:46, 3:46, 13:10, 27:34? won three national titles? set a national record? #8 all-time in the mile? etc.

all before his 25th birthday?

give me some names

people are too tough on the kid

7. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

we had in briefs, and probably only because I am a track guy.

8. You could have said the same thing for Steve Scott, too.

9. and you would have been wrong, too

scott lost the 1980 Games to the boycott but made the Olympic final in both 1984 and 1988, finishing as high as fifth in 1988

and silver medal in the 1500 at the 1983 world championships in helsinki

beyond an AR in the mile and -- what was it, 136 sub-4 miles -- and 10 US titles

who else you guys want to tear down?

10. What I meant was that Scott never produced in big meets outside the U.S. He was expected to medal in the '84 Olympics, I think he had the second or third fastest mile in history at that point, and finished 10th. He did get the silver in the 83 world championships, so I'll give you that one. In 87, he was last in the finals. The guy was the top U.S. runner in the 1,500 forever, and I remember the TV people hyping him for every international meet. Maybe they're to blame.

11. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

El Gerruj? Ritzenhein?

Draft saved Draft deleted