1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alan Webb U.S. Mile Record (3:46.91) -- Where (if anywhere) is it played?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by write then drink, Jul 21, 2007.

1. once upon a time, things like this went on the front, over the fold

i'm guessing these days most papers toss a few graphs in briefs

if anything

2. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

Has AP moved anything? the meet's official result link won't work and the only thing I've seen is message board chatter...

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I see it on our wire at about 5:45 p.m.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Did it? Maybe for Bannister. But for U.S. record-breakers? I find that hard to believe.

Anyway, today ... it's in briefs. If we had more room, we'd break it out.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'm thinking in Ryun's day it went on the front. But I was a little kid at the time, so I might be wrong.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

If I were at a daily I'd find room on the front.

7. jill geer @ usatf did a nice job getting alan on a conference call soon after the race, with a transcript popping up on the usatf web site soon after

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Some weekly folks here have asked, IIRC, how do you put interesting stories in the paper when the breaking story isn't so timely a few days later ... and in this case you call local track people (high school, college coaches) and get their opinions on it.

9. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Pardon the pun, but Webb isn't within a mile of El G's world record -- 3:43.13 to 3:46.91. Shaving three-quarters of a second off an American record set 25 years ago earns Webb a short separate inside the section but doesn't merit the cover on a Sunday morning.

BTW, I'm a Webb fan. I watched him run a 3:59.9 equivalent anchor in the DMR at the Penn Relays as a H.S. senior. Great feat (feet?) in a great race.

10. i'm guessing people in the US don't care about El Guerrouj, they care about this guy being the fastest American ever

and he is #8 all-time, so you can still put this performance in international context, even if he's still 3 1/2 seconds off the world record

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I was too, until he had his issues with Michigan's coaching staff..... you knew about them going in; you can't handle it, see ya....

12. he wasn't happy there, what was he supposed to do, stay?

looks like it worked out fairly well with Raczko

Draft saved Draft deleted