1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alan Robinson

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by nietsroob17, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

The other thing is: Are they really going to sweat a Royals-Mariners lead on a Tuesday night in August?

I can see them scrutinizing something major like an NFL playoff game, but otherwise it's what the guy/girl at the ballpark/arena sends in nearly all of the time. Remember this, too: The AP really does try to emphasize speed because that's what they hear from the client papers all the time. Give most papers a choice between a so-so lead at 10:30 or a better lead at 11, and I'll bet most of them will take the earlier one.

2. beanpole

beanpole Member

No argument here, that's what happens a lot. But the bigger the game/event/news story, the more editors get involved and writers can lose control of their stuff pretty quickly.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I hang out sometimes with one of my wife's friends' husbands. I like the guy a whole lot - he's super-nice, and he helped get me a jersey at a sweet price in December. He's also a Steelers fan, and when I was going back and forth on what jersey to get (I went with Adrian Peterson in purple), he wound up telling me, repeatedly over several conversations, that he was getting a "Ron" Woodson throwback. Should I correct him?

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Tell him Woodson never retired a Steeler, in fact it's not even close. Much better choices out there like Stallworth or Shell.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Plenty of editing/rewriting takes place every night. A writer will be specifically assigned to baseball, for example, and he/she will handle all of the baseball ledes, optionals and roundups. There's plenty to clean up every night and, in my experience, it was actually far more unusual for a lede to go out as it was originally written.

6. Padre

Padre Member

agreed, then I go back and look at the later one if time permits

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Minor changes? Yes, partly because the leads are in before the game ends and things change.

Major overhaul? Very rare.

8. Mike Nadel

Mike Nadel Member

Generally, it depends on 3 things:

1. Who is the AP writer? The better writers -- or those perceived by deskers and/or management types to be the better writers -- are edited less, especially on day-to-day game coverage and sports-news stories.

2. Which desker is it? Some simply feel the need to edit the crap out of every piece of copy that comes their way. Some edit little to nothing, especially in time-crunch situations. Some are in-between. Some only edit the crap out of copy if they historically don't trust a given writer (see No. 1 above). Some only edit heavily if time lets them.

3. How big is the event? As some mentioned earlier, the bigger the event the more likely the story will travel up the editing ladder and be heavily edited.

There you go, kids. Test on Friday.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So your stuff I read when I was in New Ulm and you were in Minneapolis was really written by Paula Froke under your byline? D-a-y-u-m, she's good.

10. Mike Nadel

Mike Nadel Member

C'man, man ... I was HUGE in New Ulm!

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Everyone was huge in New Ulm... damn German food.

12. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

Robinson is apparently freelancing for nhl.com: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=552261&cmpid=rss-robinson

Draft saved Draft deleted