1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alan Robinson

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by nietsroob17, Jan 21, 2011.

1. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Pardon if I missed something, but what happened with Alan Robinson in the Pittsburgh AP bureau? I've been seeing stringer bylines and Chris Adamski on the Steelers stories this week, and today it's Barry Wilner and Genaro Armas.

Last time I saw Robinson's name was a Penguins game Tuesday night. Not sure if he had a pre-arranged vacation, or he quit, or there's some other backstory, but I figure the AFC title game is something he wouldn't want to miss, nor the AP want him to miss.

2. Mike Nadel

Mike Nadel Member

I heard he quit in a huff. He had threatened to quit many times over the years -- including once back in my AP days while working the '91 Stanley Cup Finals with me -- but this time the company took him up on it.

I'm sure some AP and/or Pittsburgh types will give more details. That's all I've got.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

As recently as two weeks ago he was one of the guys Bob Ley was Interviewing on Outside the Lines on the Pitt football head coach situation.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Job posted.

https://careers.ap.org/viewjob.html?optlink-view=view-20243&ERFormID=newjoblist&ERFormCode=any

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A very reliable Pipeline Practioner has sent this along:

Robinson resigned in a huff after the Ravens/Steelers game. He filled his story with a lead that the NY Sports Desk didn't like. They demanded he rewrite his lead. He refused and left the press box without filing his final story. He turned in his resignation letter and it was accepted on the following Monday.

He pulled the exact same stunt after the Olympic gold medal game but they begged him to come back and he did.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Is he old enough to retire? Close? I don't think I know the guy, but I know he covered the Pittsburgh drug trials and that was '85, so he's been around a while.

If he's not old enough to walk away free and clear, it's not the smartest thing to let a pissing contest with the desk escalate into quitting a job in this market.

7. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

It's possible he overestimated his value.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Guessing it wasn't his first pissing contest with them and they probably just tired of it all. Pure speculation, of course.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Isn't that all of us who try to get raise and don't get it. I'm betting Oprah thought her network would have more viewers than it does.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Has no idea what you are talking about:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I guess his SAR (stories above replacement writer) wasn't up to snuff.

12. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

It is, but you also have to be prepared for the boss to call your bluff. I just hope he had a Plan B in mind when he walked.

Draft saved Draft deleted