1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alabama vacating football wins?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HejiraHenry, Jun 11, 2009.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I am here to help...

("All he's done for this Yoo-niversity? All the money he's raised? He got us a winnin' coa-ech? People are waiting in line to buy tockets to a stadium that's expanding again? And people want to get rid of him over some books?")

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I wonder what the NCAA is doing to the other Bama sports that had athletes involved in this. From what I understand football players weren't the biggest offenders.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

But all the Bammers care about is what happens to football. Track? Women's soccer? They don't exist. Baseball will be a little harder to swallow, but a blip on the ray-dar.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

I'm confused.
    How is giving books to Alabama football players an added benefit? They can't read them anyway.

5. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Spinted, there's no telling the illicit Crayola swag being tossed around by agent-runners at the Capstone to go with those illegal books. :)

RB

6. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Reminds me of the classic Spurrier joke about the coloring books in Auburn's library.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Congrats to the women's rowing and two cross country teams! Here's to playing by the rules, whomever you are!

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

The NCAA doesn't mess with rowers. They're badasses.

9. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

They're scared of big coxswains.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

So, if the crime is that athletes were buying books for non-athletes with scholarship money, then what would prevent the athletes from buying the books for themselves and 'loaning' them to other students?

Seems like just another pain-in-the-ass NCAA rule.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The way the system works (or is supposed to work) is that the athlete gets a voucher credit at the campus bookstore. No money changes hands, but they have to return the books at the end of the semester. What was happening at Alabama was that athletes were getting books for classes they weren't in and giving them out to their friends. (That is the official version. Supposedly none of the athletes got any money for doing this, but it isn't hard to see Johnny Linebacker pocketing $50 from Billy Freshman to get him a $100 book.) Now they cross-check purchases against the athlete's schedule to make sure everything matches up.

I would like to add that linking the NCAA to the college textbook industry is a match made in money-grubbing pricks heaven.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Anyone in Alabama could've told these players that all that fancy book learnin' was trouble. But did they listen? Nooooo....

Draft saved Draft deleted