1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alabama: Learning the hard way since 1963

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by cranberry, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Probate judges aren't judges in Alabama? Sounds like a couple of Southern states I've lived in where the county "judge" is actually the executive.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

That's correct. They're administrators of the county's probate functions, including wedding licenses.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

So is Chief Justice Moore going to be standing at the door of some probate office, keeping gay couples from being married? It's going to be game/set/match in a few months for the antigay faction; I don't see why people don't learn a lesson about being on the wrong side of history. The real interesting thing will be how things will go in heavily Catholic states like Missouri. And if a push for a Defense of Marriage constitutional amendment will start.

4. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Of course some wingnut will try to get an amendment going... but it will be hard enough to get 2/3 of each body of Congress on board. And even if that happens, you aren't getting 37 states. It will be just enough to stir the pot for the 2016 cycle.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

1, Missouri is tied for 31-33rd among the 50 states in percentage of Catholic residents (20 percent).

2, While the arch-rightwing hierarchy of the U.S. Catholic Church would most likely support a DOMA amendment, I don't think rank-and-file Catholic voters really give much of a damn.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted