1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alabama hires Lane Kiffin as offensive coordinator

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jan 10, 2014.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I absolutely 100 percent agree with this hire.

This is a wonderful hire. He's a scumbag, but Saban will clean that up. And he will score points.

Roll Tide.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

So was Nussmeier told by Saban he should look elsewhere? Going from a perennial top-dog to a program that has struggled and may be a year or two away from a coaching change just seems curious. Having Kiffin as a guest during practice might have been a pretty big hint by Saban.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

After the way Nussmeier's offense took a dump in the last month of the season plus the bowl game, I don't think Saban made Nussmeier feel welcome to stay. He didn't fire him, but like when Major Applewhite left for Texas in 2008, Nuss got out of town before he was run out.

Auburn's defense gave up 38, 28, 42 and 34 in the last four games of the season. The 28 was Alabama, and the only points in the second half were on a 99-yard touchdown.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

About 10 years ago when i covered the NFL, I picked up a bunch of those season preview magazines as part of my summer studying. I was reading one and it was so poorly done it was a joke. This is back when Monte Kiffin was the Bucs' DC and this piss-poor rag had his name spelled "Mone Kifflin." My friend and I laughed and kept repeating that so many times that I can't see the Kiffin name without saying the words "Moan Kifflin" in my head.

OK, back to ripping his son.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Moan has no idea how to spell it either.

6. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

As a Tennessee fan, this is great. Hopefully he will do for the Tide what he did for the Vols. Let me get Dooley's number for Saban.

7. Steak Snabler

Saban already has Dooley's number, I'm sure. Dooley was on his staff at LSU.

By the way, the only winning record Tennessee has had in the last six years --- and managed to stay on the field with Alabama --- was the one season Kiffin was there.

8. Shoeless Joe

That's true, but it doesn't mean he isn't a cancer.

9. Shoeless Joe

Kiffin is probably as decent football coach. His results show that. Kiffin's real problem is Kiffin. He is probably well suited to be a coordinator where he can't draw so much negative attention to himself or a program.

10. Steak Snabler

That's the entire point. Saban doesn't let his assistants talk to the media (other than once before the season and during the mandatory pre-bowl game coordinators press conference), so the things that have gotten Kiffin in trouble in the past shouldn't be an issue (at least not on the record).

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

So now Saban has an ex-UT HC as AD, and one as OC.

How long before he brings in Fulmer to cater the team meals?

12. Shoeless Joe

Although I know that was said tongue in cheek, Fulmer is deep imbedded with the revival of ETSU's program. I think that's a good thing for the Bucs.

Draft saved Draft deleted