1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alabama governor getting divorced ... at age 72

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Aug 28, 2015.

1. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Note that the judge involved was put on the bench by Gov. Bentley. I would think that getting her to step down for conflict of interest would be easy, unless for some reason Mrs. Bentley's attorneys like having her try the case.

The paranoid UAB fan in me feels the need to point out that the Judge's husband is on the board of Bryant Bank and works for Paul Bryant, Jr. Bryant ran Bentley's first campaign for governor and continued to donate money for his re-election. Bentley and Bryant are both on the Board of Trustees of the University of Alabama. Funny how many trails of corruption track back to PBJ's feet.

Reports claim Gov. Robert Bentley had an affair: What do we know?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  3. Neutral Corner

I guess Roger Schuler has not been sued enough yet. He put it out there. Then again, truth beats a libel case, and I think this one is going to continue to leak.

Legal Schnauzer

"Rebekah Caldwell Mason, sources say, quickly became more than just a communications director to Bentley. Their affair became so widely known that it diluted any moral authority the governor might have had. "He's been impotent as governor for at least the last six months," one source told Legal Schnauzer. "People have been going into his office and saying, 'Do what I want or I'm going to play the girlfriend card.' People have been running all over him."

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Sounds like the governor is a Dixie hack, too.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Come on Batman! I don't think even Rick Stain would.

7. Neutral Corner

He gets to keep both his guns and his Tide Pride membership and season tickets.

Gov. Robert Bentley's unsealed divorce records show property division, financial terms

What's interesting is the series that Donald Watkins has done on Facebook, naming names, making allegations about fiscal improprieties both with Bentley's family money and with Alabama state funds. Watkins is a politicaly well connected attorney who used to be the right hand man of former long time Birmingham Mayor Richard Arrington. If you read these it gets very obvious that he has an axe to grind with Bentley, especially over the Alabama A&M board of trustees investigation. This guy names names, makes very specific allegations, in the name of, get this, "Facebook Journalism". On the other hand, these articles have been widely circulated and there has been no denial issued, no threats of a libel suit.

There are a whole series of these stories, and not all have a separate link. Hit Donald V. Watkins | Facebook and go back to September 4th and roll forward. This guy has chapter and verse on where and when and who. Either he's a wonderful fiction writer or someone has fed him a lot of facts. He's now saying that he's going to take all the information and documents he has and give them to the Justice Department in D.C. as he does not trust those in Alabama to investigate it fully. Get this, from the FB comments section of a recent article.

"Donald V. WatkinsI am turning over all of my evidence of wire and mail fraud, money laundering, criminal conspiracy, federal program fraud, and RICO activities to the Justice Department in Washington. Alabama Attorney General Luther Strange and Montgomery U.S. Attorney George Beck are too compromised and have too many personal conflicts of interest to investigate these matters. All they would do with this information is whitewash their investigations to cover themselves. From my experience, it is far more effective for an experienced lawyer like me to lay out the fraudulent scheme for seasoned prosecutors in Washington. This way, they can follow the money with a road map to all of the tainted players and transactions. We are investigating recent reports that Rebekah Mason has hired Montgomery super-lawyer Bobby Segall, a white collar criminal attorney, to represent her in this matter. If true, Bentley, who has confirmed that attorney Joe Espy represents him, and Mason would have two of the state's top criminal lawyers representing them. What does it say about the state of affairs in Alabama when the governor and his paramour find it necessary to retain two of the top criminal lawyers in the state to represent them? Coming soon - "Executive Betrayal" - Part 4. Stay tuned."

I just love how he needs to lay out the facts for the "seasoned prosecutors in Washington". Thinks a lot of himself. That said, he's putting out there in public in writing what the local journalists pretty well know but are not willing to publish.

"My Facebook Journalism Team". Lord have mercy.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Maybe Watkins is putting all this out there to help protect himself from becoming another Vince Foster?

9. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

This is the same Donald Watkins who was purportedly going to buy the Minnesota Twins right around the time of the contraction scare, except for the fact that he didn't have nearly enough money.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

12. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

lakefront likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted