1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alabama football beat writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Christopher Smith, Apr 20, 2016.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Boots on the ground? Do you want to challenge General Saban?

bamabelle you're hired.

2. djdennisOU

djdennisOU Member

Aww, how sweet of you to think of me. But no thanks.

3. bamabelle2k15

bamabelle2k15 Member

Oh no they aren't going to hire me hell they don't even have the common decency to reject me. lol They will post another ad three months from now looking for new freelancers as they always do. My advice to you guys is to be leery of any company that has a high turnover ratio. They aren't able to keep people for a reason.

Potter likes this.
  4. LesJ9488

LesJ9488 Member

Well. . . they are an expanding and evolving platform, so I'm sure there will be some turnover as they adjust staffing to reflect their needs. Also, good freelancers often get full-time gigs that prevent them from staying a freelancer.

5. I try to respond to as many people as I can, but I get inundated with probably two dozen emails each week. As many hats as I'm wearing, it's not feasible to personally respond to each of them.

We only started hiring freelancers in late July. The majority of our freelancers we added for the season remain with us, and of the small percentage of those who left, most didn't leave by choice.

We are also in the process of raising our editorial standards, and the type of candidate we're seeking has evolved along with that. Having established a good base, the goal now is quality rather than quantity. It makes sense to constantly look for new talent and ways to make our staff better, but that doesn't mean we're switching out 10 freelancers each month.

6. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I'll put in a good word for Chris Smith and what he's trying to do at SDS. That operation ran into some serious problems when they had some drunken, obnoxious boob killing their finances and blowing up their attempts to be somewhat credible. So Chris and one of my former co-workers are trying to re-build and do things the right way.

Obviously this gig isn't for everyone but the guys running the operation are going to do right by whoever they hire. That I believe.

7. bamabelle2k15

bamabelle2k15 Member

I remember all that from last year and I had a friend of mine give me the skinny on what went down with some of the hires. As I was told they were hired and within weeks were let go and were left to scrabble for new jobs. My problem with SDS is it seems to me they have no diversity when it comes to their staff. I don't see a single woman or a person color being hired or given a chance to prove themselves. You can't tell me there isn't one person of color or a female from the state of Alabama who couldn't cover Alabama Football for the site.

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Possible lawsuit? Bama fans weren't too tolerant when Bruno showed up on the Crimson Tide sideline.

9. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I can't disagree with you in regards to diversity...I mean look at Rivals, 247, Scout...all those websites and it's basically white males across the board with a very few exceptions.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Two dozen a week? How do you cope?

Ibot1947 and Doc Holliday like this.
  11. Anonymous135

Anonymous135 Member

lol, 3.5 a day. The horror!

BDC99 likes this.
  12. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I'm sorry man, but this just has bullshit written all over it. If you want to waste your time stringing for an outfit that is trying to sell you on being full-time in the future, well good F'ing luck.

Maybe some of the newbies on here don't see through that BS, but the truth is, they'll just keep hiring stringers and paying them shit because it's cheaper, and requires absolutely no respectable and decent financial commitment to benefits like insurance, PTO, 401k, etc.

Not trying to piss on your parade, Chris, but this is how most of these operations are run. Prove me wrong over time, and I'll give you and your company its due. Until then, promises of a golden egg future are empty and meaningless.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
    Ibot1947, Suggswriter, Potter and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted