1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alabama beat writer — Montgomery Advertiser

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

I guess, but every company has various workflows and initiatives and there's certainly training involved. Then there's time editor's spend finding the right candidate and HR checking their background, etc. I suppose that time could be reduced by hiring someone already working for the company elsewhere.

If you're merely pointing out Gannett's point of view, then I completely agree. Unlike the Athletic, where name recognition and a reputation on a particular beat is the approach to selling subscriptions and building an audience, Gannett indeed believes that the audience will still be there even if the individual covering the beat changes every year.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  2. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

This joint *had* an Alabama beat writer for years. Then, through layoffs and whatnot, eliminated the position. Interesting that they are bringing it back.

rb

Draft saved Draft deleted