1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alabama beat in Mobile

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Randy Kennedy, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

As of now, who has the title of "Best Alabama beat writer?" This may be a topic for a different thread. If so, someone can create it. I'm just curious.

2. Allow me to echo the "good people" praise. Also a VERY good writer.

3. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Congrats to Gentry, a very good person and good writer who deserves a chance like this.
    Hope he's ready to have some fun in Saban's shark tank.....

4. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

No sour grapes here, as I had no direct dog in the hunt -- other than a ringside seat to the entire proceedings.

Gentry is indeed good people, no doubt. And I hope he does well on the beat (but not TOO well, of course). Just offered my 0.02's worth of analysis whilst breaking the news.

RB

5. Best Alabama beat writer?

I'm sure rockbottom can answer that for you.

ps: I'll be looking forward to asking Randy about how much help you were in your ringside capacity, rb.

pss: Whilst breaking the news? Outing alert: rb is David Aldridge.

psss: Can't spell Nurburgring without rb.

pssss: Can't spell orb without rb.

6. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Feel free to ask Randy ... I'd wager that he and I talked about the opening more than you and he did.

And I think it would be fair to say that I might be more able to talk at/analyze/form opinion on the Alabama beat than most on this thread. Not saying, just saying.

Again, best of luck to Gentry. He is in the deep end of the proverbial pool now, but Mobile's water wings plus his talent will be a solid combination.

RB

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Just make sure you don't surf the 'Net during a game, Gentry. Rockbottom will have your ass.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Maybe I am stupid, but the second sentence completely confused me.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Congratulations, young man, if you're reading this, and if you need a sponsor at the Saban support-group meetings, I'm your guy.

10. Depends on whom you include in that "most" part.

The Alabama beat is crawling with excellent reporters. Even the low guy on the totem pole, whomever he may be, is pretty damn good.

To keep the thread on track: Great hire, Randy.

11. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

Let me be the third...er, fourth...er, fifth... Shit, who's counting now...person to say Mobile made a good hire. I've known Gentry for a little more than 6 years now, and I know he's capable of doing an excellent job for Mobile.

He did great work covering Alabama in a tough situation (read: lots of travel back and forth, covering high schools, doing ga work and also doing desk/slot; just a lot of work) for Decatur, and I'll venture to guess the transition for him from the UT writer in Chattanooga to the UA writer in Mobile will be nearly seamless.

Murci, you're still dead to me for willingly posting the Chelsea crest.

12. Look, Fuert, you know where my allegiance lies.

We both know C. Ronaldo > Ballack + Shevchenko + Lampard.

Msr. Bleus deserves his day in the sun, so I gave his second-place group a little run.

That rhymes.

Draft saved Draft deleted