1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alabama, anyone

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by m2spts, Apr 6, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Actually, if I told you the town, you'd know it wasn't remote.
    But more importantly, I never pass pass up a chance to tweak him on his passion for driving an hour to go to the grocery store.

2. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

For him, there's nothing better than a good trip for work that takes him to a town with Publix, Whole Foods or Fresh Market. Sad.

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Yes, the Riviera ain't what it used to be when I was spending summers down there.
    "The Hangout" was a cool game-room along the beach with ski-ball and other novelties. You'd earn tickets, then cash them into secure giant stuffed animals or waterguns or somesuch.
    There was a real, live chicken in a large glass box which would run the bases of a tile baseball field painted on the box's floor.
    All for a quarter.
    Hotels included the Vise Courts, Oleander, Gulf State Park, and Seaside Trailer/Camper park.
    He sold it last year for $950,000.
    Restaurants served massive doses of fresh-caught delicacies or there was Buck's Fried Chicken back nearer the Intercoastal Waterway (Snake Stabler opened (briefly) "The Endzone" nightclub during the late 70s and early 80s near Bucks.
    It flopped finally.
    Nowadays along the Gulf Shores seaway, there are nothing but condos.
    And all the restaurants require a 30-minute to an hour wait to even get a table.
    So much for the good ol' days.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Aaaaaamen.

5. MilanWall

MilanWall Member

Come on, guys. Alabama's great!

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I cringed the first time I saw it... which also might have been the last time it aired...

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I lied. I hadn't seen that before. But it sure sounded familiar...
    and it was...

A slim Diana Lewis, a young Tommy Hearns and Frank Turner not suing, praying or listening to dial-up sex calls was the clue...

8. chazp

chazp Active Member

Liar!

9. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

If one were to go there, would one immediately have to get a banjo on one's knee?

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Yes, and you'll have to knock out all but two of your teeth.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Fixed

Draft saved Draft deleted