1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ala. govt. board fires public tv leaders

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dixiehack, Jun 13, 2012.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

As you might imagine, it was hardly for a benign cause.

http://currentpublicmedia.blogspot.com/2012/06/exclusive-two-alabama-ptv-firings.html

2. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Insist on execrable programming, wait for donations to dry up, then shut the station down "with profound regret."

Just wait till they find out how many right-thinking Alabama kids are fans of Thomas the Tank Engine. They may have miscalculated badly.

3. dixiehack

Not a matter of a station. This is a statewide network (actually the first in the U.S.) And despite living here half my life, I never knew this board existed before tonight.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"The programs “talked about how our government forefathers were very religious men,” Howland said, “how the country was founded on religious principles, and how we need to go back to that.”

Yep, we've got to go back to those religious principles this country was founded upon. The religious principles of slavery, stealing land from people of a different skin color, and not allowing half the population to vote because their uteruses won't be able to take the strain.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Lots of strange things happening in Alabama in recent times.

6. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

The part about the founders being "very religious men" is revisionist history at best, and outright prevarication at worst.

7. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Can't imagine that public television viewers in Alabama number more than 3 digits, tops.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Beaker, it's not revisionist history or lying -- it's delusion. If Thomas Jefferson or Ben Franklin came back from the dead and told these guys what he thought about religion, they'd refuse to believe a word. These clucks are from the uniquely American branch of Christianity which believes in the Church of Me -- as in God loves me best, so whatever I want is what God wants.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Thomas Jefferson was the founder, who, being so religious, took the Bible and cut out all the bits that he thought were supernatural nonsense.

So no angels, so miracles, no trinity, no nothing.

Jefferson wouldn't even be considered a Christian by today's standards.

10. dixiehack

As the resignations, firings and lost donations pile up, Salon takes notice.

http://www.salon.com/2012/08/09/tea_party_takes_over_alabama_public_tv/

11. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

If someone could show that allowing this would cause the Crimson Tide to lose a few football games every season, I bet you'd see some political backtracking.

12. dixiehack

Draft saved Draft deleted